UKC

Mammut Mamook GTX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ardo 20 Feb 2015
Anyone who has a pair got any comment?

Looking at them for Scottish Winter. Read the Dan Bailey review, so interested in any other comments.
 Jon Wylie 20 Feb 2015
In reply to nrhardy:

Ive had a pair for 2 or 3 years (cant remember). Ive used them in the Swiss Alps, Scottish Ice/Mixed, and the odd winter hillwalk with the dog.

I bought them in a last in size/store sale deal at a silly price (cheaper than anything on the internet) so was quite chuffed.

I have size 11 fat Neanderthal feet and got them in a 12...perfect fit. The front cinch thing is quite good for modifying the fit if you need to. They are very comfortable and super light for walking and supportive but precise for Scottish mixed,ice and Alpine rock/scrambling without crampons.

I had an old style pair of Scarpa Phantom Lites before and these have been significantly more durable. They barely have a scratch on them and have seen a fair amount mileage. The first pair of Phantoms I had went back to Scarpa after 3 years use due to a rand detachment issue. Scarpa were fantastic and I received a brand new pair which were pretty mashed up after another 3 years use.

They are probably marginally colder than the old Phantom lites but its not really noticeable. If your feet run really cold, these might not be the best boot for you. For Scottish winter an integral gaiter like the Phantoms would probably make these the perfect boot for me but as it is I just wear gaiters some of the time.

Hope that helps

Jon

OP Ardo 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Jon Wylie:

It does indeed. Think I'll try me a pair for size.
 Mark Bull 21 Feb 2015
In reply to nrhardy:

Looks like Mammut have discontinued them and replaced them with the Eiswand GTX, so you might get some good deals on Mamooks before they disappear!
 Lucy Wallace 21 Feb 2015
In reply to nrhardy:

I'm on my second pair and absolutely love them. When pair no 1 wore out I initially bought a pair of the new Eiswand which are pretty similar, just a tad lighter- but I had a warranty issue with the outsole and returned them- Mammut sorted this out very quickly but the shop I bought them from didn't have any more in my size so I got a refund and bought another pair of mamooks instead.

They seem to have a really tolerant fit- I have quite narrow feet and so does my husband and we both get on with them Others with wide feet have said same. I think they are super adjustable. They are light and comfortable out of the box. The ankle is pretty flexible, but that's good- and the sole unit is stiff. My only gripe is that the outsole wears out pretty quickly. I operate mostly on granite which eats my boots. Never had a problem with them feeling cold, but I'd say the Eiswand are warmer having worn them a couple of times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...