UKC

winter sleeping bag help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
windjammer 21 Feb 2015
im after a new winter sleeping bag for use in a tent,i seem to suffer with tent condensation even if its ventilated.is it best to have a hydrofobic down or a wateristant shell fabric,been looking at the rab ascent or the mountain equipment glacier
 Luk e 21 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Use a light weight bivvy bag?

or get the Crux torpedo variant sleeping bags... depending on how heavy your wallet is.
 PPP 21 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Rab Neutrino Endurance range also has a 1000mm waterproof rating on their outer material which should be sufficient enough. The current model features hydrophobic down as well.
windjammer 21 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

ive used a alpkit hunka bivi bag but that didnt work it just got damp inside the bivi,i have looked at the crux torpedo range they are expensive but if they work then its money well spent
windjammer 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Luk e:

if the crux torpedo is the right bag for my needs then it isnt expensive
 Siward 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

You won't find a better bag than item number 291385132778 on that auction site. No need for a tent with a bag like that

And it will likely go for less than a quarter of its new price...
needvert 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Other option, have a synthetic over bag.

You can get light DWR bivy sacks (MLD's lightest is ~120g), too.

A bivy bag or nice DWR shell will deal well with external moisture, but you've still got internal moisture to deal with. That's where a synthetic over bag comes in handy, and as a bonus it may have a highly water resistant shell and minimal stitching (no baffles) so provide some protection from external moisture too.

As to choice of overbag...I thought a synthetic quilt was a good option. Construction is simpler so they end up much cheaper, they're lighter and can be used alone in warm climates. In fact they are so simple they're feasible to make at home...
 Ian Rock 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:
As suggested by needvert, personally I'd go for a separate pertex like shell over something inbuilt to the bag.
a. You probably wont want the benefit of a water resistant shell all the time.
b. It's more flexible, meaning you can open the insulating inner bag to vent warm air, but still have protection from breezes and water drips.
c. It's easier to air a sleeping bag if you can remove the water resistant layer and turn it inside out.
d. It's probably the cheapest option overall.

PHDesigns also do a sleeping bag cover for around £80 / 150ish grams. http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/drishell-sleeping-bag-cover
 Mountain Llama 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Use 2 bags. Down inner and synthetic outer. This also gives u broader options for when it's not as cold.
windjammer 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

what about a rab ascent 700 down bag and a phd sleeping bag cover,would that be better than a crux torpedo
Dorq 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Do you really have a condensation affliction?

I would (also) look at why you are developing such a condition. Are you cooking in the alcove or is the tent(s) design too shallow a slope at the tail end or too short for you, and so on. A good tent with adequate ventilation might be cheaper (or nothing if it is just technique) than some of the waterproof/resistant bags, and can be used with existing bags that you own or will get in future; it will also mean less freezing condensation, drier pitches the next night, less chance of carbon monoxide build-up...

windjammer 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

my current tent is the hiiliberg akto,i sleep with all the vents open but last time it snowed and wind blew snow up the vents and it laid on all my gear in the porch.i used a macpac minaret on the tour du mont blanc during the summer and that suffered with condensation a lot more than the akto.the only time i havent sufferd with condensation was in the back garden with sleeping bag in a goretex bivi under a tarp.i get less condensation when there is wind to circulate through the vents,i noticed this when i slept high on the TMB route compared to sleeping in the valleys.it does make me unhappy when i awake in the morning and the down bag is just soaking wet,ive tried using the alpkit hunka bivi bag but that didnt work,the next sleeping bag i buy has to be the right one regaurdless of the cost,it would be cheaper to spend 700 quid now rather than buy 2 more bags that dont work,if someone is willing to help me out ill buy them a night of beer.matt
Dorq 22 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

I don't know why but Chris Townsend claims to have less problems with the Akto's ventilation; I have seen a lot of complaints and perhaps as many appraisals. The tents that seem to combat condensation well IMO are ones that have a lower entry vent and a higher exit vent, if that makes sense. I can get a lot less condensation in a tunnel by extending the rear using extra guy lines on the peg points and tying out as far as possible at a raise in the terrain, then opening the front as much as possible. And of course boiling/cooking outside.

I find ME Drilite bags work well against condensate runoff but I always spend a good hour at midday with down bags draped over rocks, weather permitting...Haven't had a problem with the Helium fabric down bags using this method, over 7 days, either.

I look forward to the day when we can sleep in Dune-inspired wet suits that collect our water vapour:

youtube.com/watch?v=vHLhrSJ_yxc&

[Spoiler alert]
windjammer 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Dorq: bump

Mountain Llama 23 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:
I have read all the posts on your thread and it appears you are trying to treat the symptoms instead of the route cause. Poor tent ventilation is going to cause condensation and this may lead to water dripping down onto your sleeping bag etc. Imho using a bivy bag or the like over your bag in a tent is just going to get your bag wet via another route and you'll still have condensation raining down on you from the tent inner.

I think you will have better results getting the tent ventilation sorted plus this will ensure the rest of your gear will also be dry.

Davey
Post edited at 21:13
JonIsh 24 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

Yep whole heartedly agree with last post - You need to sort the tent issue and pitch it properly. And be realistic and ask yourself what conditions do I REALLY want it for, same for the pit too. One of the best winter bags I've ever used in the TNF Superlight if you can find one.
windjammer 24 Feb 2015
In reply to JonIsh:

i slept with all the vents open but the wind blew snow up the vents and the snow settled on the inner tent and all my gear in the porch,ive tried as much as i can but what ever tent i buy i suffer with condensation
kerny 24 Feb 2015
In reply to windjammer:

For me synthetic cos there's always a good chance of the bag getting wet so less worry about imo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...