UKC

Castleton to Betws-y Coed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Left the forums 22 Feb 2015
Long shot I know.

Anyone got any views of how best to do this walk, no camping considered. Accommodation needs to be dog friendly. Max of 20/22 miles per day, with shorter day following previous day at max mileage. Cost isn't a major issue, prefer friendly pubs/Inns rather than 'Spa hotels'. Walking needs to be on minor roads/footpaths as much as possible.

Has got me stumped, so welcome for any suggestions.

Andy
 malky_c 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I can't give you any details, but I think the key is canal towpaths. You could do something like:

-Mam Tor/Rushup edge/various footpaths to Whaley Bridge.
-Pick up Peak Forest canal towpath to Marple.
-Macclesfield canal to Kidsgrove.
-Trent and Mersey Canal to Middlewich
-Middlewich branch of Shropshire Union canal to Barbridge.
-Main Shropshire Union canal to Chester.
-Pick up Wales Coastal Path on the banks of the Dee at Chester.
-Follow Wales Coastal Path to Conwy.
-Dig out your 1:25k OS map. There are lots of ways down the Conwy valley - my personal preference would be to stck to the western side. You can climb up behind Rowen and stay a good 100m above the valley floor just about the whole way to Betws.

No idea how long that is, or if it could be conveniently made shorter by going cross-country between some of the canals when they wind around. However it gives you an idea of where to start looking for B&Bs
 Brass Nipples 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Cestrian Link walk
Gritstone Trail
South Cheshire Way
Then aim for Overton then Llangollen etc.

Left the forums 23 Feb 2015
In reply to malky_c:

Thanks,

The key was the canal towpaths plus the coastal path (and the convenience of having the train line on the coastal path).

I had originally thought going cross country was an option but couldn't find enough dog friendly accommodation, going along the coast path allows me to base myself at one place for several days and use the train.

If anyone is interested, route now is;
Castleton to Buxton - (Limestone way/cheedale/footpaths)
Buxton to Eaton (just north of Congleton) - (primarily Dane valley Way)
Eaton to Crewe - (mixture of canal towpaths and cross country shortcuts)
Crewe to just south of Chester (canal towpaths)
Then coast path/Conwy valley/Snowdonia.

All worked out as about 5 miles further than original route (I was surprised how little difference there was) and has the bonus that I won't have to carry a heavy pack everyday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...