UKC

chamonix in april?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 22 Feb 2015
Any tips on some suitable day routes (up to PD+/AD- ...but happy with any classics of lower grades) in chamonix around april time? something with reasonably easy access as it is most likely going to be a quicky over a long weekend.

Cheers
 kenr 22 Feb 2015
I'm assuming (since you don't mention skis) that you will not be using skis to access your climbs.

OP Derry 23 Feb 2015
In reply to kenr:

that would be correct. no skis. any possibilities?

if not, any long rock routes worth the trip (up to VS)?
OP Derry 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Derry:

bump
 MuzzaSA 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Derry:

I'm also looking for info for easier routes in April!

What about snow-shoes for non-skiers? Would they extend the climbing range much?
 David Rose 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Derry:

I used snow shoes to access routes in Chamonix for several years in winter and spring before I learnt to ski. They do extend your range enormously, and make life much easier. You can rent them in the valley. If you arrive after a period of dry weather, some south facing rock routes will be in condition, including in the Vallee Blanche. Snow/mixed routes ditto. But this is prime time for steeper ice. The goulottes will be excellent. Easier, more accessible options would include the Col du Plan, the Mallory - Porter on the Midi, the Y couloir on the Aig. d'Argentiere. Maybe the Whymper or Couturier on the Verte, if you're confident.
OP Derry 26 Feb 2015
In reply to David Rose:

What about arete des cosmiques? seems like fairly easy access to the hut and down via cable car.
 David Rose 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Derry:

If the weather is good, that should be fine. It is doable in most conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...