UKC

Insurance for cycling in France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 23 Feb 2015
Before I start googling, has anyone advice on insurance that would cover us on a 3 week trip to France on touring bikes. Thanks.
 Bob 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

My first port of call would be the CTC.
OP Phil1919 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob:

Yes, that did cross my mind as i was typing....thanks.
 LastBoyScout 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

I enquired about this with my insurers for last year's Etape.

They said that my normal travel insurance (Voyager) was fine for general cycling around but wouldn't cover "races" (I know it's more a sportive, but explain that to an insurer), so I took out extra insurance just for the day of the Etape to be on the safe side. They have a little-known bolt-on option for this sort of thing and it cost about £12, I think.

If you're not doing any races, you should be fine.
OP Phil1919 23 Feb 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks
OP Phil1919 23 Feb 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I would imagine normal travel insurance would be cheaper than CTC insurance.
 Batcloud 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

I enquired recently with Goodtogo Insurance, Cycle Touring is classed as a hazardous pursuit with them so you need to pay a supplement. They're reasonably cheap though, I've used them before but not had to claim!
Removed User 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

We tour in France pretty much every year and we always end up insuring through the BMC. OK prices, clear terms, peace of mind and no hassle.
OP Phil1919 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks.

What do you do for maps? We are wanting to go on small roads/lanes, but are aiming to cover biggish distances. Arriving at St Malo with a blank canvas thinking to head into the middle of France.
 FrankBooth 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

Re: maps - I've taken my bike over for the past couple of years, and before I've gone I've just sketched out 4-5 routes varying from 30 - 60 miles on Garmin Connect and saved them to my Garmin (a very basic Edge 200). By dipping into a few of the roads using google Streetview, I'm able to get a good feel for how major/minor they might be - if you can get a google van down it, you'll be okay on a bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...