UKC

Looking for a wild hiking experience in England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lcompadr3 23 Feb 2015
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.

I'm looking for a place to go for hiking, wild camping and maybe fishing. Any one knows anywhere like this in England? Then, I would really appreciated if you please let me know.

Preferably, 140 miles distance, wild life, all terrains, legally camping.

Thanks
 Andypeak 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

Have to go to scotland to legally wild camp
MaxWilliam 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

Have you read Wild Places, Robert MacFarlane?
In reply to andy.smythe:

> Have to go to scotland to legally wild camp

Yes that is true but you can wild camp anywhere in the UK with the landowner's permission and you can generally camp on open access land above the last fence line without permission as long as you keep a low profile and leave no trace.
 Bulls Crack 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

I think Scotland rather than England if you want to travel 140 miles
 JIMBO 23 Feb 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

> Have to go to scotland to legally wild camp

Or parts of Dartmoor...http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting/vi-planningyourvisit/camping
...there are bylaws that allow it.
 Andypeak 23 Feb 2015
In reply to JIMBO:

forgot about Dartmoor
 Harry Ellis 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

Pennine Way?
 climbwhenready 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

To cover 140 miles in "wild" terrain I'd look at scotland. Remember that in the UK hiking is legal, wild camping is legal in Scotland and Dartmoor and "tolerated" elsewhere as long as you're out of the way, but fishing is illegal without a license (poaching).
mick taylor 24 Feb 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

Bit of clarity: for freshwater fishing you need a rod licence from the Env Agency for anywhere (including a pond in your back garden) in England and Wales, and then permission to fish from the person how owns the fishing rights - land owner/riparian (i.e. a permit) for anywhere in UK. Close seasons exist dependent on country/ownership/coarse vs game fishing - bit complex though.

Most upland Cumbrian tarns are free fishing - some are very good for trout (and surprisingly perch in some tarns), often OK to camp as well.

Hows about North Yorkshire, through to Howgills and then Lakes? Camping/fishing tarns possibly Blea Water - Red Tarn - Codale Tarn (full of perch!) - Angle Tarn (Bowfell) or Sprinkling (Great End) .............link them together in that order, taking in highest/best summits.

If you got caught without a rod licence fishing those tarns, you would be the unluckiest fisherman ever!
Moley 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Lcompadr3:

Is Wales a possible? A large section of the Cambrian Way would work.
 Climber_Bill 24 Feb 2015
In reply to mick taylor:
In reply to Lcompadr3:

> Hows about North Yorkshire, through to Howgills and then Lakes? Camping/fishing tarns possibly Blea Water - Red Tarn - Codale Tarn (full of perch!) - Angle Tarn (Bowfell) or Sprinkling (Great End) .............link them together in that order, taking in highest/best summits.

> If you got caught without a rod licence fishing those tarns, you would be the unluckiest fisherman ever!

Yes, you could also take in the coastline of the North York Moors between Scarborough and Whitby before heading west to the Dales and then the Lakes.

There is good sea fishing at quite a few inlets and bays. Wild camping down at Cloughton Wyke or Hayburn Wyke wouldn't be an issue if you kept your head down.

Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...