UKC

Film.....Boyhood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 24 Feb 2015

I saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. My interpretation was that it showed a lot of the problems of modern day relationships. None of this seemed to impact on the mental health or behaviour of the children or the two central adults however. They all seemed to be the richer for their experiences. They all ended up the wiser for it. I was wondering what the director was trying to get across and if there was a bit of artistic licence involved.
Post edited at 07:59
In reply to Phil1919:

Saw it yesterday as well. Superb film. I couldn't believe it was actually 2 3/4 hours long.

We were wondering how it was going to end since it is really just filming an ongoing story but even that was well done with a beautiful piece of cinematic timing.

Alan

OP Phil1919 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yes, I agree. Was it unrealistic however that none of the characters showed outward signs of being damaged by their experiences!

Great shots of big scenery in America near the end!
 mav 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

excellent film. birdman must be some film to have taken best film and best director (especially the letter) ahead of it. Thought it could have stopped (quite simply) 20 minutes earlier but glad it didn't. Not sure the characters emerged entirely richer and wiser. More mature in the case of the adults, but I'd disagree the children weren't affected. however to say more without spoilers would be impossible.

Saw something in the paper at the weekend that made me think. Don't think I'm giving anything away by saying it was filmed over 12 year period. There were actors who played fairly pivotal roles in the earlier years who were only involved for a year or two, with no involvement after that. Must have been an odd experience for them to see a film they had probably almost forgotten about suddenly emerge to such fanfare and praise.
In reply to Phil1919:

> Yes, I agree. Was it unrealistic however that none of the characters showed outward signs of being damaged by their experiences!

With the exception of the particularly nasty 'father' figure' the rest of the drama wasn't anything out of the ordinary I don't think. I think that was the point - a film about real life experiences and the traumas he/they lived through and yet emerged as decent adults.

> Great shots of big scenery in America near the end!

Yes. My son said that he wished he had somewhere like that near his college. I pointed out that most places like that in the US are at least 3 to 4 hours drive from any college and the Peak District is a lot closer to where he goes to school!

Alan
OP Phil1919 24 Feb 2015
In reply to mav:

Do we need to worry about spoilers? I'm not sure of the etiquette..... I was thinking that people wouldn't read on if they were thinking of seeing the film. It had its last night in Kendal yesterday.

I thought the children were shown to make a LOT of sound decisions. They didn't overreact when wound up, (toilet scene, or being grilled by husband number two/three), they were introduced to drink/cigarettes/drugs but didn't take them up or use them as crutches, they questioned their Mum on having to move/go to new schools, but in the end took it in their stride, they listened to advice and took it on board. These were very stressful situations which they passed with flying colours. In the final scene the lad was seen to interact with the girl very appropriately using wisdom, body language, words of a high order. I'm sure they were affected, but they didn't show any obvious signs of long term damage.
In reply to mav:

> excellent film. birdman must be some film to have taken best film and best director

For me it was a more enjoyable film than Birdman, but then I am a father with an 18 year old son which I think makes it seem very relevant.

Birdman was good though and technically it is an amazing achievement worth seeing in a big screen.

Alan
drmarten 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Phil1919:
I enjoyed the film, I bought and watched the DVD a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to find myself identifying more with the mother than the boy, to me that was the real story. I think the film should have been called Motherhood.
Post edited at 12:00
OP Phil1919 24 Feb 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Yes, it gave us a good insight into all four of them I guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...