UKC

Cricket World Cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
Anyone else taking a passing interest ? England's inability to build an innings and bowl with anything like the guile needed in the modern game not withstanding.

So Chris Gale has just scored a double hundred off 138 balls !

I'm still fancying S.Africa to start to fire towards the latter stages.
In reply to GrahamD:

Hoping quarters for England, young side still ironing out cracks and not on same level as nz and aus, or sa and India (when they are in give toss mode). Shame for the afghan lads against Sri Lanka, almost had them.

Not sure who woke the Windies up, dangerous team with some self belief.
 Bobling 24 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Mostly watching the highlights with one eye whilst doing chores in the evening. Not so much for the quality of the cricket but more for nostalgia when we were away for a few years and enjoyed watching entire test matches at some of the grounds. Hamilton particularly poignant - those picket fences and grassy banks....ahhhh.

Having said that I did enjoy the India - Pakistan game, along with another billion people(!) , I desperately wanted Pakistan to sub in Inzamam, we miss that chap so much in our household!
 Chris the Tall 24 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

It's hard to sustain interest when the format/scheduling is just so ridiculously bloated and drawn out. One game a day and half of them are meaningless. Ireland got off to a cracking start, but have only played that one game whilst most others have played 3. There's a chance that Ireland may qualify for the last 8, or that England could miss out (if the match against Bangladesh is rained off), but in reality they are taking a month to sort out the seedings for the last 8.
OP GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I agree the format is too protracted to hold interest, but there is the odd gem of a game in there. And it does at least allow the top teams to play into form.
OP GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

I'm most concerned that our bowling isn't working. Anderson and Broad are hardly new, they have been our mainstay test partnership for ages. We just look too one paced right now.
In reply to GrahamD:

Agreed, no plan seems evident and Woakes appears to be trying the 'shit takes wickets' approach. Don't think we have had a clue since Gibson went personally, what the Eng set up does promising county bowlers I don't know but it is worrying.
 Chris the Tall 24 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> I agree the format is too protracted to hold interest, but there is the odd gem of a game in there. And it does at least allow the top teams to play into form.

Australia and NZ seem to have started in top form, but I suspect that even a month won't be long enough for this England side to get going

Both spent a month or so grinding uninterested teams into the dust in home conditions as well though.

I do feel a bit for Eng at present, they are not even close to three sides and would be in a tough fight against another four and are pilloried if they justifiable lose to any of them. Then they have the 'minnows' whom they are expected to thrash, but are actually goods sides, and have previous against Eng, so the pressure is ramped up again.

How much grief did the Saffers get from the India game? Or Pakistan from the WI game?
OP GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

I'd feel a bit more for England if we didn't have the biggest pool of resource to pick from (excepting India and Pakistan). And the fact that its not a new problem. Its been there since the ODI format took off in the 70s.
In reply to GrahamD:

Was thinking more the individual lads, some must know they are being flogged to destruction whilst others be looking over the shoulders for the next whim of selection.

Not convinced that results or future planning is a concern for the ECB, more interested in packed schedules and money, money, money.
OP GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Well true enough about the money - but England are only truly marketable when they are competing so not having a long term strategy is a dangerous road to go down.
In reply to GrahamD:

Matches against Aus and India will always sell, until they dilute that product.

Oh....

Kipper 24 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> I'm still fancying S.Africa to start to fire towards the latter stages.

I've got cash on NZ making the final; also (rather foolishly) Eng/NZ final at 26/1.

The only win I've had so far was the Ireland match, so I'm about even at the moment....

Chris the Tall 25 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Ireland making a bit of a hash of things today - mind you, there's no reason why UAE shouldn't be good - looks like they've got the best of the rest from the India, Pakistan and SL

Mind you, it's making for the most exciting match so far - just when it looked like Ireland had it back under control they lose a vital wicket . 36 required off 5 overs, but just 4 wickets left

Good to see the Irish lads are learning from mixing with the Eng boys in County game, calm down and dont throw it away with a panic collapse.
In reply to Pepper:

3 required off 6 with 2 wickets in hand - interesting !
 Mark Bannan 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

>
> Not sure who woke the Windies up, ......

surely that was Ireland! (I was very pleased, given that I come from there!)

shame about Scotland v England
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Ha of course that may be one optoon but I really thought after that result they would have given up.

OP GrahamD 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Looks like the Saffers are starting to hit form. My tournament favorites. Their pre-tournament underdog tag will suit them.

"AB de Villiers hit the fastest 150 in one-day international history as South Africa amassed 408-5 in their Pool B match against West Indies in Sydney.

De Villiers reached 150 from 64 balls, beating the previous record, set by Australia's Shane Watson, by 19 balls.:
In reply to GrahamD:

Amazing scenes, still have questions to answer against big sides in pressure games for me, wouldn't be confident in backing them against a host side in semis.

Good for Ire on the net run rate this.
 Chris the Tall 27 Feb 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> Looks like the Saffers are starting to hit form. My tournament favorites. Their pre-tournament underdog tag will suit them.

So you aren't worried that they'll be up against England in the quarters.....
OP GrahamD 02 Mar 2015

A potential banana skin for the Saffers, for sure, but I'm not 100% confident England are going to be getting out the group.
 Chris the Tall 02 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

If either of their remaining matches gets rained off, they are out - I'm sure that happened a few years back
OP GrahamD 03 Mar 2015

Ireland will do well to only lose by 300 runs to SA right now. And that's without a contribution from DeViliers.
 Bobling 04 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Just caught the highlights of Oz vs NZ, fantastic match!
OP GrahamD 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Bobling:

Almost better for not being a total bat over ball fest. Seeing bowlers in with a fair shout is what makes it a contest IMO
 Bobling 09 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

No one else on the thread now? Broad just bowled...death throes?
In reply to Bobling:

Well at least the ECB made money from the ashes and that is what is most important.

Time to pick another team to follow for this w/c
 BALD EAGLE 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Bobling:

I'm here and all over mate and what a shocker of a performance! Congrats to Bangladesh as the better team won but this result neatly encapsulates England's tournament up with muddled thinking and muddled decisions going back months...
OP GrahamD 09 Mar 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

How on earth do you go about going from number one test playing nation to this so quickly ? bizarre.
 the sheep 09 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Well that was a sahmble!
OP GrahamD 09 Mar 2015
In reply to the sheep:

But not necessarily unexpected.
 ianstevens 09 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

a) we were never that good at 50 overs
b) multiple retirements of world class players
 the sheep 09 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Sadly no, I gues the only good thing that could come out of it would be that the England set up admit how massively far off the pace we are and change how we play the game.
OP GrahamD 09 Mar 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

I don't think we were ever that bad either !
OP GrahamD 09 Mar 2015
In reply to the sheep:

You would have to say the coaching set up is likely to be the first thing to be overhauled (again).
 the sheep 09 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Indeed, lets not make the mistake of bringing back someone who failed at their initial attempt again.
Gone for good 09 Mar 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Time to bring in someone dynamic, a proven track record in winning, a game changer. Oh well, that rules out anyone English then.
Gone for good 09 Mar 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Oh, and get rid of Eoin Morgan. He's rubbish.
 Chris the Tall 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

> Time to bring in someone dynamic, a proven track record in winning, a game changer. Oh well, that rules out anyone English then.

But a certain South african will be rubbing his hands with glee!
 Dave Garnett 09 Mar 2015

> But a certain South african will be rubbing his hands with glee!

Why, are you thinking they'll let him play for South Africa?
OP GrahamD 10 Mar 2015

It has to start with the coach. The players are who we have available. Moving one or two around isn't going to make a huge difference. For me it starts with an overhaul of the bowling coaching. Can we get away from part time spin and 80mph short of a length trundling ?

Just look at what happened to Australia - all of a sudden the same bunch of players went from England's Ashes bunnies to world beaters again.
 MikeTS 10 Mar 2015

Maybe there are Irish players who would move over?
Gone for good 10 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> It has to start with the coach. The players are who we have available. Moving one or two around isn't going to make a huge difference. For me it starts with an overhaul of the bowling coaching. Can we get away from part time spin and 80mph short of a length trundling ?

I agree. The bowling coach, David Saker, is going back to Australia shortly so needs to be replaced anyway. For me Peter Moores is not up to the job. It's no coincidence that our best results in recent history have come when foreign coaches have been in charge. Time to put another South African in charge.

coinneach 11 Mar 2015
In reply to MikeTS:

Why would they want to take a step down ?
OP GrahamD 13 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

A resounding win for England ! hurrah !

Meanwhile where is everyone's money for the real competition when it starts ? Despite the odd frailty at the top of the innings, my money is still with the perennial chokers - SA.
 tony 13 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Is it going speed up now that we're in the knock-out phase? It seems to have been going on far too long already.
 Martin Hore 13 Mar 2015

I'm not a cricket fan, but I heard one pundit claim that the reason England perform so badly at the limited over game is that every other team is full of players who play in the India Premier League where they learn to put together big scores fast against the best in the world. Apparently England players aren't permitted to play in the IPL. Bit like Ivory Coast refusing to allow Drogba to play in the English Premier League I guess.

Martin
OP GrahamD 13 Mar 2015
In reply to tony:

> Is it going speed up now that we're in the knock-out phase? It seems to have been going on far too long already.

It has been too long. This format is supposed to make sure the top teams all get through (hah !) but its really just too long with too many dead rubbers. 42 pool games is stupid. Go back to 16 rather than 14 teams, 4 pools of 4 and half the number of pool games.

At least the knockout stages should be more interesting

Gone for good 13 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:
It has been too long. But now we are at the business end of the competition I fully expect India to dominate their games and go on and win the tournament.
As for the IPL, the English game needs a tournament with a similar set up to enable English cricketers to develop their skills against the best batsmen and bowlers in the World. It's unfortunate that the English season clashes with the IPL but English test players with a central contact are obliged to play for their country and those with ambition of playing test cricket need to be available for call up. It was one of the roots of disharmony between KP and the rest of the English team that he got to earn his million dollars in India whilst the rest of the team were playing meaningless and far worse paid test matches in New Zealand or somewhere.
 WB 13 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

I agree. It has been far too long. Are they incapable of organising more than 1 game a day? There is probably some TV scheduling reason, but i can't see how the current format is keeping even the most ardent cricket fan interested.

OP GrahamD 18 Mar 2015
In reply to WB:

My 'pick' for the tournament did a demolition job today. Coming good at the right time.
In reply to GrahamD:

You're not wrong in that one...
Would love to see a NZvSA final...
OP GrahamD 19 Mar 2015
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

There goes another one sided quarter final, albeit expected.

India through easily
OP GrahamD 20 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

And another one sided quarter - in the end. Pakistan's old fielding frailties let Australia off the hook somewhat.
 MikeTS 20 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

No surprise: 3 southern hemi plus India were always in a different class.
Gone for good 21 Mar 2015
In reply to MikeTS:

What a score by new Zealand. Records broken left right and centre. I hope they get to the final. In any event it will be very exciting semi finals.
 MikeTS 22 Mar 2015

Yes four teams all n great form
OP GrahamD 23 Mar 2015

Only just saw the highlights. How different would that have been if Gupthill had been caught ?
OP GrahamD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

This is different ! a proper game. Too close to call at the moment....
 Gazlynn 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Who's your money on in this one?

Cheers

Gaz
 Padraig 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Don't normally watch cricket BUT this is exciting!!
Gonna be close!! Dropped! ffs lolz
 Gazlynn 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Padraig:

Jeezo what a game

Cheers

Gaz
 ben b 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

As an Englishman emigrated to NZ I'd just like to say:
Aaaaaaaaaaagh!

b
 Chris the Tall 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

At last, an exciting match when it actually matters
 Gazlynn 24 Mar 2015
In reply to ben b:

OMG

great game.

Cheers

Gaz
OP GrahamD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

> Who's your money on in this one?

My money was on the losers ! what a superb finish
 Derry 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

go on nz! now to win away from home!
OP GrahamD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Derry:

Interesting scenario if a country the size of NZ win Cricket and Rugby Union world cups in the same year !
 Derry 24 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

and winners of the rugby league 4 nations last year.
Gone for good 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Derry:
What a fabulous game of cricket rivalling the tension of the six nations finale.
I still fancy India to win it but would be delighted to see New Zealand beat the convicts in the final.
 Derry 25 Mar 2015

yeah whoever is in the final it should be a cracker. I'm hoping its NZ vs India personally. Will find out tomorrow morning
OP GrahamD 26 Mar 2015

Where is your money now ? 329 is a big chase in a semi........
 Chris the Tall 26 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Looks like an Oz/Nz final, presumably in a fortnight's time given how protracted this tournament has been
OP GrahamD 26 Mar 2015

Oz looking firm favourite - especially with the best death bowler still to finish his spell
 Chris the Tall 26 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> Oz looking firm favourite

That's a understatement

India require another 96 runs with 1 wicket and 22 balls remaining
 Gazlynn 26 Mar 2015

I'm a casual cricket supporter but that didn't have the intensity of the first semi final.

I got up early to watch 3/4s of this match.

Is it worth my while to get up early to watch the final or will Australia give New Zealand a doing as they did to India in this one?

cheers

Gaz
OP GrahamD 26 Mar 2015

That turned out somewhat one sided in the end. Obviously chasing down a 300+ total is not really happening for anyone. Toss is going to be crucial at MCG
Gone for good 26 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

It's the organisers dream final. A pity the Indians weren't able to produce their recent quality batting and bowling. I would love to see new Zealand win but think the aussies will shade it.
Either way it's going to be a great final

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...