UKC

North Pembrokeshire from London - best route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 24 Feb 2015
Heading for somewhere near Newcastle Emlyn - is it worth going Gloucester/Abergavenny/Brecon for the scenic value rather than grinding down the M4...or would that way be simply too painful on windy single carriageway roads?

Thanks
 d_b 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Nic:

I would take the M4, unpleasant as it is. So long as you time it to avoid the bristol and cardiff rush hours that is.
Bhealey 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Nic:
Hi nic, I regularly drive this route when in the uk because I live close to pembroke, the scenic route is great it's a awesome drive with great views and all that carry on. The problem is that time goes slower through those villages so the farmers rarely pull over the old folk don't get out of second gear and the road is just generally slow. I would advise going on the m4 and enjoy the climbing and if you fancy that part of the world head up for a weekend of walking in the beacons when it's festival time. Good luck. Ben
 GrahamD 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Nic:

Alternative is M40/M42/M5/M50 and A40 rejoining the M4 further down (Neath, I think)
 The Ivanator 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Nic:

Armorican, quite possibly the best route of any grade in North Pembroke irrespective of where you are travelling from.
OP Nic 24 Feb 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks all for the tips and the climbing suggestions, sadly it is a bucket and spade trip with the toddlers...though I might head back to Carreg-y-Barcud to reminisce over an fraught onsight of Kitten Claws some 20+ years ago! Failing that I might see if I can persuade Mrs Nic down to Porth Clais for some soloing (me, not her)

In reply to Nic:

Or try Barrel Zawn for the DWS, if you want to push yourself and fancy a softer landing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...