UKC

Indoor Bouldering and Travel Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 24 Feb 2015
Has anyone looked into travel insurance policies that cover the odd trip to an indoor wall while you're there?

For context, my girlfriend is going to be spending about a month in the US for work related reasons, and quite likes the idea of getting out to a local bouldering wall while she's there. She is - perhaps reasonably - paranoid about the possibility of falling off badly, breaking an ankle or something, and getting stuck with US-style medical bills. But on the other hand, a lot of travel insurance policies (eg the BMC one) bracket "going to the wall a couple of times" in the same category as "spending all month working hard aid routes in Yosemite", and hence make it infeasibly expensive to insure the whole trip.

Is there a better option?

And in general, is there a good way of insuring long trips with mostly general touristing that might include a few days doing "adventurous activities", eg can you get a general travel policy for the trip and top it up with an "adventure travel" thing for the bit when you're actually doing something more risky?

Cheers
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I phoned up and asked about whether the travel insurance on my credit card would cover indoor climbing and was told it would be OK but the wording on the master policy was 'indoor' vs 'outdoor' and it wasn't clear if I would be covered if I went to a wall and used a climbing structure outside the building. Another thing that might have removed the cover was taking part in a competition.

The specific insurance on this card was obviously intended to cover 'adventurous' things people might do on holiday but it wasn't clear that indoor climbing was included from the paper documents provided to customers and I wouldn't have known without phoning them up.
 Morgan Woods 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

If she is going for work then surely they would insure her for reasonable after-hours activities, although there is this rather well known case from Australia worth noting:

"A public servant who was injured while having sex in a motel room during a work trip is not eligible for compensation, the High Court has ruled.
The Federal Government employee, who cannot be named, was injured in 2007 when a light fitting was dislodged and fell on her as she was having sex with a man.
The incident took place in a motel room in a country town in New South Wales, where the woman, aged in her 30s, and another employee had travelled for work.
Her employer had booked her into the motel room.
The woman said the light hit her in the face, injuring her nose, mouth and a tooth and also causing a psychiatric adjustment disorder.
She was taken to hospital for treatment.
The Government's workplace safety body, ComCare, initially accepted her compensation claim, but it was later revoked and the decision was also upheld by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-30/sex-compensation-high-court/5057348
OP Ramblin dave 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

It's "work related" rather than "travelling for work" in the normal sense, unfortunately - it's a research trip partially funded by an academic travel grant, so she's left to sort out insurance and other details for herself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...