UKC

Waterproofing softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevie989 24 Feb 2015
I have a pair of 40 quid softshell trousers from decathlon for winter climbing. They do the job but do get wet (I sary warm enough when combined with leggings)

Is there a way (and is it worth) applying a waterproofing product? I'm thinking one of the wash in nikwax efforts.

I have a jacket or two that could do with getting reproofed anyway so was tempted to just throw them in with that.

Would their be breath ability issues?
 climbwhenready 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

The wash-in TX direct will stop softshells from wetting out... to a degree. They stay breathable.

I think its success might depend on the composition of the fabric.
 aldo56 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I find it better to get some cheap over trousers for when it's really minging to go on over the soft shells. Marmot pre-cip are good.

Either that or get some harshell trousers and make a judgement before you go out as to what ones to take.
richyfenn 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

Nikwax has a specific "SoftShell Proof" product for just such a thing. Never used it but probably better than the standard TX.
 SenzuBean 24 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I had a softshell waterproof jacket that was wetting out easily, tried the Nikwax clean, the nikwax proofer - and nothing at all happened - jacket wetted out just as easily as before. Things that may have improved the outcome would be using the tumbledryer to kind of "melt" it into a better layer (recommended practice on the tin if I remember). But yeah, didn't work properly IMO. Another option is if you seam seal the joins if they're the weak link (a la seam sealing a tent).
In reply to Stevie989:
What have you used to wash them with? Like anything with a DWR treatment, it's not a good idea to use normal laundry detergent, as that will negate the effect of the DWR. So use soap flakes or a proprietary soap-based cleaner.

As or re-proofing, well, to be pedantic, you'll only increase the water resistance... But it ought to work well, and not cause too much change in breathability. Do a soap wash first. But,as others have said, they're not waterproof, and you have to accept they have limitations...

The only thing to consider is the 'wicking lining' of the dual weave fabric; if you actually take advantage of this, then you might prefer to use a spray-on, the than wash-in treatment.

Whatever you decide, do a soap wash first; you may find it restores the DWR...
Post edited at 12:40
 IPPurewater 24 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
I'd 'second' the soap wash suggestion. Then test the garment when dry, by placing it under a dripping tap.
Post edited at 14:37
OP Stevie989 24 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks guys. I'll give the above a bash.

I'm not expecting miracles but to they could shed light rain and snow a bit better if be happy.

Trying to refrain from buying more expensive kit so late in the season!

(Other than the new boots/axes/crampons I bought this week!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...