UKC

Trekking - Mera Peak December 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ahampton 24 Feb 2015
I have booked on a trip to Mera Peak in December 2015. I am looking at the kit list at the moment and I think I may be struggling for boots for over 6000 meters. I am a womens' UK size 4 feet and it seems to me the only ones that may be available are plastic boots, does anyone have any advice re any other form of boots I may be able to use.
 buzby 24 Feb 2015
In reply to ahampton:

a long time since I was there but I took two pairs, plastics for mera and lightweight trekking boots for day to day walking. still might be the best if not cheapest option.
ahampton 24 Feb 2015
In reply to buzby:

How comfortable were you in your plastics?
 buzby 24 Feb 2015
In reply to ahampton:

to be honest with the altitude and fatigue it was the least of my worries, but they were ok, it may seem a bit overkill as you will only be wearing them for a couple of days out of the whole trek but im not sure there is a boot id be happy with that would cover the high altitude stuff and also be comfortable enough for the long walking days lower down.
I went for a lightweight leather boot for the trail walking and plastic scarpas for the snow and it worked well.
if its the only time your going to use them then the price stings even more, you could try getting a 2nd hand pair or sell on your afterwards.
one of our guys got frostnip as it can get seriously cold up there.
have fun its an awesome location if you get to the top and the weather gods are with you.
 Damo 24 Feb 2015
In reply to ahampton:

> ... the only ones that may be available are plastic boots, does anyone have any advice re any other form of boots I may be able to use.

You don't want other boots. Mera in December you want double boots. Plenty around on the web nowadays going cheap, no need to buy new, other than the issue of small size.
m0unt41n 24 Feb 2015
In reply to ahampton:

Its going to be cold in December, you only need them for 3 days. If you've booked with a trekking company they may have boot / equipment hire options or may take you round to a hire shop in Kathmandu before you fly to Lukla. Worth checking with them but safer to get sorted before you go. Although there tends to be more smaller sizes than larger ones there.
 Babika 24 Feb 2015
In reply to ahampton:

> How comfortable were you in your plastics?

I climbed up a Grade 1 Gully on Helvellyn on Saturday and walked an 8 mile circuit in my plastics. I had crampons on as well for about 25% of the time.

Really comfortable whether up or down, scree, rock, ice or turf. And of course its really easy to slosh across a river without worrying.

My Nepal Extremes blister my female size 6 feet so badly I've returned to my Koflach's for the last 2 winter weekends in UK. They feel like a pair of comfy slippers in comparison. Please don't worry about plastic - I've found that other people are prejudiced and will tell you not to use them without actually having a personal evidence base!
However I wear both, so can speak from experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...