UKC

New bike park at The Castle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mellotron 24 Feb 2015

From the Castle blog:

"We will soon be moving the bike park to a dedicated space outside the building next to our favourite bike workshop. Many of you have already been using the railings around here to park your bikes anyway, so you’ll be pleased to know that we’re getting over 100 spaces. Up to now, bikes had to be wheeled through the building to an outdoor section at the back. We’ve changed this because we have other plans for that space including a much-needed workshop and route setting area. I know that many cyclists are concerned about these changes. I use my bike to get here every day (that's me in the picture above), so I share these concerns too.

The main worry is that the front of the building will be less secure than the rear of the building. Because so many of our customers cycle here, this area is going to have constant traffic and being in a more prominent position, it won’t feel so isolated. Users will be discouraged from leaving their bikes overnight, so our bike park will stop feeling like a bike graveyard that attracts thieves. Finally we're going to make sure that it's properly lit and putting in CCTV too. Like I said, I use my bike daily, so I know how important it is to have a safe place to park it.

I think that there are benefits to moving the bike park. First, it will make checking in much more pleasant for both our regular users and new customers. No more having to balance your bike while you fish out your key fob or avoid the wet/muddy tires of the person queuing in front of you. Also, the centre can get very busy and it can sometimes be difficult to weave through the crowds standing along the lockers in the lower building.

Another benefit is that not bringing the bicycles into the building should dramatically improve the heat retention in the lower building during the winter months. Shorter queues, better use of the front lobby and not having the back door and stairwell doors constantly opening mean that the heat won’t escape. This is really important for us as we try to make the building as energy efficient as possible.

We are starting work now to prepare the ground for the bike racks. A thick rubber mesh layer will be placed on the ground to keep it from getting eroded and muddy. We expect that the new bike park should be open within the next few weeks.

It’s great to see that more and more Londoners are using their bicycles as a cheaper, convenient and more sustainable means of transport. I hope that the expanded, new facility will make it even easier for you to come in on your bicycle."

What are people's opinions on this?
I personally think a lot of bikes are going to go missing...
Post edited at 22:30
 legonaut 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Mellotron:

Yep- I suspect more than a few. I'm sure it's convenient for them but, living in the area, I'm not at all convinced this is a good idea.
OP Mellotron 25 Feb 2015
In reply to legonaut:

Yeah, hasn't the advice from the Castle up until now been "Don't lock your bike out the front or it may get stolen, use our secure bike park"?
 Mike Highbury 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Mellotron:

> Yeah, hasn't the advice from the Castle up until now been "Don't lock your bike out the front or it may get stolen, use our secure bike park"?

With a few more for the thieves to choose from maybe you'll get lucky and it won't be yours that gets stolen.

Aren't the rascals more interested in the skunk garden out back than a few rusting hybrids clipped to the racks in the drive?
Post edited at 13:29
OP Mellotron 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Not everyone rides a rusting hybrid...
In reply to Mellotron:
I don't think CCTV is a deterrant at all to thieves. I had a motorbike stolen not so long ago, in broad daylight and in an area monitored by CCTV. When I informed the police about the CCTV camera, I was told not to get excited as a)the footage will be terrible quality b) the thieves usually conceal their faces anyway and c) the lorry/van used will have false plates or be stolen and the CCTV footage probably wouldn't pick up the letters anyway. And after all of that....they don't have time or resources to go through the footage either!

as useless as the ashtray I had fitted to the bike the week before
Post edited at 13:50
 legonaut 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

A large bike park like this is certainly a plum choice for thieves and definitely not safer for customers. If biking is a priority for them then why not put the setters workshop etc out the front?

Bike theft in the area is clearly an issue with between 20-60 bikes taken nearby every month: http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Postcode/N42HA

CCTV and lighting is just a minor deterrent and no comfort if your bike is nicked. Having climbed there since '99 I can't say the traffic jam in the corridor/muddy tires etc argument holds much weight. Certainly no worse in recent years.

paulcarey 25 Feb 2015
In reply to legonaut:

One solution would be a cage with a gate which you can only access which the keyfob thing they give you...

Mike Highbury 25 Feb 2015
In reply to paulcarey:

> One solution would be a cage with a gate which you can only access which the keyfob thing they give you...

It's a thought but it'll be a big cage to cover the racks they've lined up.

KevinD 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> I don't think CCTV is a deterrant at all to thieves.

Cambridge police agree.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Row-police-rule-low-quality-CCTV-snare-Camb...

I guess it depends on how it is implemented. With decent oversight it could be ok (well during the day). Think I would give it a miss though, shame since would be a nice ride in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...