UKC

2 way zips on half zip jackets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 25 Feb 2015
What is the purpose for 2 way zips on jackets that only have half length zips? I.e. Montane featherlite smock?

The only answer that i've got out of someone is if you're cycling leaning forwards in light drizzle. The top zip keeps it closed around your neck to stop the drizzle coming in, and the bottom zip opens all the way up to let in fresh air.

Seems a very niche reason. Surely it is easier to just put a one way zip on an item? There must be a decent reason for it.
In reply to CharlieMack:

Yes, and you've essentially identified it; it's for more versatile ventilation, particularly of the core. I may want to keep my neck (extremity) covered, but vent heat from my core. Opening the lower zip allows me to do this. And it stops the open top flapping about...
 butteredfrog 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:

Access to an inner chest pocket?
OP CharlieMack 25 Feb 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

I thought about this, but surely for the 5 seconds it takes to get out what you have in your chest pocket, you could just unzip from the top.
OP CharlieMack 25 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Seems very niche, not sure when i've ever wanted to cool my core but not my neck :/ If i'm too hot, i'm too hot and just want to vent to cool down.

Ah well, question solved i guess. Was kind of hoping for an 'oh, how did i never think of that, that's genius' reason for it.
 butteredfrog 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:

Napoleon Boneparte impressions?
In reply to CharlieMack:

I don't think it's that niche, otherwise you wouldn't have pit zips, core venting pockets, etc, because people could just undo their main zip. I think it's pretty core...

In cold weather, my extremities can be pretty cold, even when my core is sweating. I like to be able to maintain the insulation on my extremities, whilst dumping heat from my core.

My VR smock has a 2-way zip, too

its so you dont have a parachute when venting and going into the wind
 The Potato 26 Feb 2015
> (In reply to CharlieMack)
>
>>
> My VR smock has a 2-way zip, too

Yup this is what I have an I use it for running and its great for fast moving / hot activities in cold air as it keeps you neck warm but allows excess heat out from your core.
You may not find it that useful for your activities but it doesnt do any harm being there either. Im very glad Rab put it on anyway.
OP CharlieMack 26 Feb 2015
In reply to ow arm:

Might try it next time i'm out. Glad it has a use that people actually use. I've only got it on my windproof, so having the neck zipped and the bottom open doesn't really keep any heat on my neck. I can see how it would work on a VR top or similar though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...