UKC

An Teallach in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 Feb 2015
An Teallach montage, 4 kbIt's the greatest mainland ridge traverse, reckons Dan Bailey. For best results save An Teallach for a flawless winter forecast.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7111
 JohnnyW 26 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

*Whimper*

Every time I can't decide whether to retain my comfortable job and only climb/walk/lead at weekends, someone goes and posts a midweek cracker like this.......

Cheers!!!!!
 Michael Gordon 26 Feb 2015

Sounds like one of those days!

Hayfork Gully is a great way up, though I think the pinnacles are better in ascent. You can't lose on a day like that though.
 lummox 26 Feb 2015

Great article. Reminds me of the only time I've done the traverse. Semi winter nick, so windy that my glasses got blown off and a blurry descent back to the car at Dundonell. Happy days !

Thanks all; I'm still hoping to catch a day that special this season. It's rare even for us mid week skiving types
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Was this in early 2013? Surely not last season!
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Yes; my how time passes
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Aye, I remember some great days that Feb/March.
 mountainbagger 27 Feb 2015

Thanks Dan, I can't wait to do this on a day like you had (or even half as good). I once caught Aonach Eagach on a beautiful end of Sept day after 3 weeks of roaming around the Highlands/Skye in iffy weather, including a cloudy/poor vis but benign traverse of An Teallach and I remember thinking how great either of them would be in winter! Bizarrely I've had the odd really nice winter day in Glencoe on my numerous visits, but I've somehow managed to miss out on the Aonach Eagach in winter garb and now I'm thinking "when will I see you again" (to the tune of the famous song) as I am in the deep south of Surrey with two young children (I love them dearly so it's bearable). Your article has, at least, inspired me to dream (and hatch a plan for next year)!
In reply to mountainbagger:

Thanks for that. I hope you get the weather one day
 alastairbegley 05 Mar 2015

not quite as good weather as Dan had, but traversed An Teallach (pinnacles first) in brilliant conditions yesterday. What a fantastic route which should be high on any mountaineers list. http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/03/traverse-an-teallach/
 BnB 05 Mar 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

We got hopelessly lost in daylight bushwhacking through the rhododendrons. How the hell you made it though in darkness I can't imagine. Looks like a grand day out you had.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...