UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Asperger's and Climbing: A Girl's Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 Feb 2015
Enjoying the outdoors, 3 kbAilsa Graham is 20 years old and from Nottingham. Two years ago she was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. In this article Ailsa talks about her autism and how climbing has helped her overcome certain aspects of the condition.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7107
 Offwidth 26 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good article. I've climbed problems with Ailsa indoors and didn't notice the usual cues I get with my students who have Aspergers (or the odd colleague!). Maybe as climbers we are all a bit obsessive at times and too many are fearful of failure in front of peers!
Rigid Raider 26 Feb 2015

Labels, labels, labels! We are all somewhere on the scale of somethingness; I don't mean to belittle Ailsa's achievements but much of what she writes sounds like normal adolescent self-doubt to me.
 Lucy Wallace 26 Feb 2015

Great article! Thanks for sharing your story Ailsa.
 skog 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Labels can be very useful, as long as they are used to help understand and deal with things rather than as excuses for not trying.

And the fact that everyone is somewhere on this particular scale of somethingness isn't particularly relevant - being high on it is rather different from being somewhere low or middling.

Well done Ailsa, good article.
 CrushUnit 26 Feb 2015

Have you thought it might be quite upsetting when a young lady writes a piece like this, putting herself out there so to speak, only to have someone come along and question wether she genuinely has a medically recognised condition and suggest it's just adolescence? Could it be just that sort of attitude that puts people off from talking about their mental health problems?
 Graham Booth 26 Feb 2015

A really lovely article and really well done!

Ignore the negative gits
 SenzuBean 26 Feb 2015

I have great respect for people who have extra difficulty with life, acknowledge to themselves they have the extra difficulty, but don't let it be a barrier to them and just carry on. Keep up the good work!
 Mick Ward 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Graham Booth:

Agree - a lovely, lovely article, so heartwarming. Good luck Ailsa.

'In this great future
we can forget the past...'

Mick
 Martin Hore 26 Feb 2015

A great article, Ailsa!

Climbing's been an important part of my own personal development for 50 years, ever since I realised at school that it was a "sport" I could be quite good at - unlike football, rugby etc. where I was always the class weakling. It's really good to be reminded how climbing can boost young people's confidence in this way.

Martin

Offwidth 26 Feb 2015
So you think Psychologists invented Aspergers Syndrome just to annoy people like you. I dont want to belittle you in saying that but what you say sounds like normal adolescent ignorance to me.
Post edited at 16:37
 dread-i 26 Feb 2015

Good article Ailsa. Someone I'm very close to is an Aspy. I appreciate the effort it must have taken to write it and the courage needed to post it.
 Chris the Tall 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I've often wondered how many of us might be "on the scale" for autism, ADHD, OCD, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc and have never been diagnosed as such. There is feeling that these things weren't invented when we were kids !

But that's not to say that a) they aren't genuine and b) labelling them isn't useful.

In fact this excellent article shows how labelling can be helpful - the author has an explanation for certain aspects of her behaviour - obsession leading to injury - and may be able to spot the warning signs earlier
 matthew 26 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Just to clarify. Aspergers is not of itself a mental health problem but a developmental disability. Though often subtle it can have a devastating impact on interactions with other people. Many sufferers may struggle with depression which is a mental health problem.

More information at http://www.autism.org.uk/
 Yanis Nayu 26 Feb 2015

Good on her.
 jon 26 Feb 2015
Jesus, that's about the nastiest post I've seen on UKC. Congratulations, you must be very proud.
Post edited at 17:46
 CrushUnit 26 Feb 2015
In reply to matthew:

Thanks Matthew, my own ignorance showing.

Cheers
G
 jsmcfarland 26 Feb 2015

You come across like a total dick in your comment. This is the exact same problem with depression, where people just get told to cheer up or 'sort themselves out' or whatever other stupid comment. Unbelivable
In reply to jon:
For cruelty on UKC you need only review the responses to Mountain Spirit's posts!! Many people seem to have little understanding & less tolerance/compassion toward folk with developmental differences to the norm. Shame. Nik
 Misha 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Yes, there's certainly a strong obsessive streak in climbing and I wonder how many climbers are somewhere on the autistic scale (I may well be!) and whether that's a higher percentage compared to the average population.

Scarab9 26 Feb 2015

thank you for posting that. It was a wonderfully positive read and reminded me how much I have gained from those that have been my climbing friends/family over the years. Hearing you talk about the similar connections helping you overcome your personal hurdles has put a smile on my face. It really is a great spot for many many reasons, and the social aspect is the biggest.
 Y Gribin 26 Feb 2015

Well done Ailsa - a really interesting article which was bravely written.
 pete johnson 26 Feb 2015

Ailsa, you've made my day. A lovely article. You're a brave woman.
 The Pylon King 26 Feb 2015

Lovely article.

I reckon most climbers are on the scale, that's what makes it interesting.
 Mick Ward 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism

> I reckon most climbers are on the scale...

Can't argue with that. Shit, if we were normal, we wouldn't need to climb.

"But you young people, what are you rebelling against?" [Traffic cop]
"Whatta ya got?" [James Dean]

Rebel Without a Cause.

And before you nick it, PKAC, it's my new route name first!

Mick

The Pylon King 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

> In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism

> Can't argue with that. Shit, if we were normal, we wouldn't need to climb.

> "But you young people, what are you rebelling against?" [Traffic cop]

> "Whatta ya got?" [James Dean]

> Rebel Without a Cause.

> And before you nick it, PKAC, it's my new route name first!

> Mick

I did 'Rubble without a Cause"
 Mick Ward 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

OK - you win!

Mick
 BIG BAD JOHN 26 Feb 2015

Ignore the ignorance of the likes of rigid raider this is a very brave and life affirming article. I have a ten year old son with Autism spectrum disorder and your article has encouraged me to introduce him to climbing to help him overcome some of the difficulties he faces in the same way you have. Thank you for your bravery and honesty.
 Robert Durran 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)
>
> I did 'Rubble without a Cause"

I did Jebel Without a Cause

Oh, and a great little article.

vin.walsh 27 Feb 2015

"Climbing is a world of acceptance. " Amen, Alisa,
 Andy Clarke 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:
> "But you young people, what are you rebelling against?" [Traffic cop]

> "Whatta ya got?" [James Dean]

> Rebel Without a Cause.

Great line - but isn't this Brando in The Wild One?

Great article too. I'd throughly recommend introducing young people on the asperger's/autistic spectrum to climbing. I've worked with such groups at the local wall and been delighted with the surprisingly rapid developments in confidence some kids experience, including some with autism so severe they are virtually non-verbal.
Post edited at 09:34
 Mark Kemball 27 Feb 2015

Lovely article and food for thought. Thanks Ailsa.
 Mal Grey 27 Feb 2015

Nice one, Ailsa.
 steveriley 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Extra points - youtube.com/watch?v=fkdqCTcDkbc& - right at the end. Are you sure you're not on the scale Andy?[!]. Enjoy your climbing Ailsa
 Andy Clarke 27 Feb 2015
In reply to SteveRi:

> Are you sure you're not on the scale Andy?

Well spotted!
 Jim Nevill 27 Feb 2015

A brave, heart-warming article Ailsa, it helps confirm why I've loved climbing and climbers for all these years.
 planetmarshall 27 Feb 2015

> Labels, labels, labels! We are all somewhere on the scale of somethingness;

Indeed. You, for example, are fairly high on the moron scale.

pneame 27 Feb 2015

Very interesting article - it's good to see climbing actually being useful, but it's also wonderful to read an honest "what it's like" view of Asperger's
Great job.

Thanks for sharing your story Alisa, I hope it inspires others to get out there!
 JamieH 27 Feb 2015

Nice one Ailsa. The story of your journey makes a good read. I reckon you'll be a lifelong climber, like some us old hands!
 Rog Wilko 27 Feb 2015

As others have said this a very heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing it with us all - I guess it might have taken some bravery to do so.
I hope you'll continue to get all this fun from climbing and will be able to enjoy wider and wider experiences as the years go by. There's enough to fill a life-time.
 Climbster 27 Feb 2015

Thanks for sharing, Ailsa; it's a nice story and a courageous post.

BTW - I did "Rebel Without a Pause". It was awesome
 Yanis Nayu 27 Feb 2015
In reply to jon:

Just a slight overreaction...
 Garron 28 Feb 2015
Thanks for a great article. Some of my best days climbing have been by myself exploring remote new bouldering areas, and my other best days have been with my best friends just having fun at a crag.
csambrook 01 Mar 2015

Great article. One of the things I've noticed about climbing and particularly bouldering is how people will spontaneously interact, much more so than in other sports. Climbers tend to be quite focused on the technical aspects of a problem which I guess fits well with Asbergers and it's normal to see complete strangers talk to each other about a problem without any of the "fluff" that social interactions tend to have in other situations. I imagine that makes things just a little easier if social interaction really isn't your strength.

Well done Ailsa for writing this and helping us all understand Asbergers a little better.
 Chris_Mellor 02 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:
Oho ho ho - uk climbing at its incisive take no prisoners best.

As for Ailsa's story it was a great read and resonated a lot with me. I loved the seven finger story. Sure, absolutely reasonable - at the time.

Great article Alisa, thanks for sharing. I remember you from the Nottingham wall, always full of enthusiasm and good advice.
 Alan Bates 03 Mar 2015

Thanks for posting this Ailsa. As well as bringing out what climbing has brought to you, it helped me by confirming some of my understanding of AS
 stp 10 Mar 2015

Really nice article. I was particularly warmed but this bit: "Obviously there is more to climbing than the people..".

The older I get the more amazing I realise the climbing community is and its really great to hear of your story of acceptance within that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...