UKC

Thoughts on Pertex Shield material?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam_craddock 26 Feb 2015
Just wondered if anyone has any clothing made from this material and what they think of it?
 DaveHK 27 Feb 2015
In reply to sam_craddock:

There are different versions with different performance characteristics. The basic one breathes about as well as a bin bag and I'd avoid it. I'm told the others (Shield+ I think) are better.
 IPPurewater 27 Feb 2015

I have some RAB Offlimits waterproof trousers. They are about 5 years old and are my only pair of waterproof trousers I use in weather too warm for my Paramo ones.

I'm not sure which version of Pertex they are made of (not the latest), but they breathe well and the DWR finish has lasted very well.
 nathan79 27 Feb 2015

Got a Rab jacket made of it, fairly sweaty. Also have a bivvy of it, better than the jacket so definitely variances in it as a material.
 PN82 27 Feb 2015

I have a Rab tempo jacket in pertex shield, the hydrostatic head is 10000mm. The breathibility is typical for this type of material, not massively breathable and suffers from condensation and wetting out in bad weather. I use mine as lightweight summer shell and it's ok. I paid £46 brand new for it in a tiso sale so for the money no complaints, I wouldnt pay the RRP of £100 for it though.
needvert 27 Feb 2015
In reply to PN82:

http://www.pertex.com/product/shield/
Breathability (MVTR) – 7,000g

http://www.pertex.com/product/shield-plus/
Breathability (MVTR) – 20,000g

Regular Shield caught my attention because it was available for only 16USD/meter, whereas eVent and Neoshell were notably more expensive. Breath-ability wise, it's wasn't very good on paper (though comparing MVTR numbers is a bit unreliable), I'm sticking with eVent or Neoshell.
 The Potato 27 Feb 2015

Ive cycled in a pertex shield (not plus) jacket and it was essentially an expensive sweatbag

You definitely get what you pay for,I use a Montane Atomic jkt
With basic shield it does the job for my night hill runs as above
Its fairly sweaty however I do have pocket vents which help it breath
Its wind proof,sheds rain and I really dont stop to get cold it works
Perfectly for what I use it for think I paid £60 for it In Go Sale.

nathan79 27 Feb 2015
In reply to PN82:

I think I have that's the same one I have. Also use it for a lightweight summer shell.

Think I got mine for £60 so you got a better deal.
 Jimbo C 27 Feb 2015

I have a cheapish Montane jacket made from the standard Shield fabric. It's ok for walking to work but I wouldn't use it for a day on the hill.
In reply to Jimbo C:

Yeah on a Wet and Miserable day its gonna be Wet and Miserable Inside!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...