UKC

Waterproof socks. Worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 27 Feb 2015
Got a wet weekend in the Rhinogs planned. Wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy waterproof socks. Good bad indifferent?
Thanks
 Xharlie 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

Waterproof socks? Sounds like pure fable to me... unless you're wrapping your foot in a Sainsbury's bag.
 LastBoyScout 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I've never worn waterproof socks on the hills.

Only ever bought a pair once for mountain biking and they were rubbish - but they were a very early incarnation that were bulky and poorly shaped. They've moved on quite a bit since then, though.
 Guy Hurst 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I used to have a pair of Gore socks and they did work, but tended to bunch up a bit and become uncomfortable. I think that if the cut of them had been closer to my foot shape it would have helped a lot, but everyone's foot shape is a bit different and I imagine that trying to produce a range of socks with such a wide range of shapes would not have been cost effective. I also used a pair of Sealskinz socks which I was given and they were useless. Initially more comfortable than the Gore ones, but I'm not sure they were ever waterproof, and certainly not after the first couple of times I wore them.
 aldo56 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I tried Seal Skin ones of the bike, they're awful. You end up with sweaty, cold feet and the water runs down the top of them if it's wet enough.
Clauso 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

The new Sealskinz socks are very good. I wear them with fell running shoes, when conditions warrant it. I competed in the Dark Mountains mountain marathon, recently, and the socks were the difference between enjoying the event and very probably retiring, as we spent the night wading though snow, mud and freezing streams.
OP Bluebird 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

Cool, that's that then. Save my hard earned. Thanks all.
Blue
OP Bluebird 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Clauso:

Ahh... This is also helpful. I run also. Which actual sock from their range did you buy?
 galpinos 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Clauso:

I bought a pair for the inaugural Dark Mountains but we did retire (after 4hrs, still took three to get back to the start!). Having done the HPM a few times i know how cold your feet can get constantly flushing cold water and comparably the sealskins were really good at keeping my feet warm (though not entirely dry). I had the thin-ish short ones but would get the longer ones.

My only criticism was the longevity, they seemed wrecked by the one run but I took them back and got a replacement pair with no hassle.
In reply to Bluebird:

Brought the oh some for Xmas, she has a leak in one boot and small feet so water often comes over the top, especially in bog and crossing rivers.

She is very happy in them, not getting wet feet ten mins into every walk. Used in the peak and lakes, bog and snow.

Trick might be that she doesn't go mad in them trying to test their limits, just to help keep out general water that a normal pair of big man boots would manage.
Clauso 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I went with the following pair. They have certainly kept my feet warm through some pretty crappy conditions.

Mine do tend to get a bit damp inside, when running, but I suspect that's probably due to my sweaty feet!

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks/mid-weight-mid-length-sock
 Toerag 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I've a pair of sealskinz and they seem fine. They also have the bonus of being a pretty effective double-layer anti-blister sock, I was concerned that they'd be no good for walking but they're actually pretty decent.
 Simon Caldwell 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I wouldn't use them for walking, I'd rather invest in waterproof boots.

But like others, I've got a couple of pairs of Sealskinz that I use for running in the winter (I 'normal' pair and a merino pair). Mine are a few years old and have lasted well, but probably largely because they only get a handful of uses each year (mainly at the Dark Mountains - notice a theme here? ). They don't keep all the water out, but it's slow enough that when water gets in it has enough time to warm up and keep the feet comfortable.
OP Bluebird 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Wife has just announced she has a relatively new pair of Sealskinz I didn't know about, so will trial them instead. Cheers all
B
 Mal Grey 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

Like others, I've used Sealskinz for running and mountain biking in really wet conditions, but not sure I'd want to for walking. My feet do feel clammy in them, but this is better than soaking wet. For a run, the duration is short for me, so slight clamminess is far better than soaking wet, and for a bike ride, the feet don't seem to sweat as much. More importantly, they stay warm, even if slightly damp, whereas the next cold puddle would make them cold again with normal socks.
Over a long day walking, I think the poorer fit than normal socks, and reduced breathability, would make my feet less comfortable than normal socks.

Note that if you run or bike in them in shorts, the rain can come down the top!

The Potato 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

If you want warm and dont mind wet then neoprene would be your ideal, Ive not found a pair of socks that both hold water in and let sweat out, either way my feet are wet.

I have recently used some MVP (army goretex) oversocks (called boot liners).
They have been pretty good for cycling, Ive not run or walked in them but they are pretty thin and my feet didnt feel sweaty in them either.
 thedatastream 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

Yeah, Sealskinz were pretty much essential on the Dark Mountains and, for me, any long winter activities. I've got three pairs, two old pairs (2+ years old) which leak to varying degrees and one new pair which are still good.

Even when they get water in them, it warms up and stays warm for longer than conventional socks. I wouldn't be without a pair.

I'd consider some of the goretex ones - anyone got any links or recommendations?
 duchessofmalfi 27 Feb 2015
In reply to thedatastream:

I wear them in my clipless shoes when biking when it is cold or wet and I think they are magic for that. Especially for MTBing in foul conditions with deep puddles when they are better than wellies. Eventually they fail in really bad rain by virtue of the water running down your legs pooling in the socks.

I wouldn't bother for walking, they lack the comfort of a proper sock and a combination of good boots, gaiters and waterproof trousers correctly layered are what you want.

Roadrunner2 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I also use seal skinz, nice socks, pretty comfy, not totally waterproof but keep your feet warmer than a traditional sock. For conditions like Darren talks about I think they are a god send.
OP Bluebird 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Roadrunner2:

Ok, happy to report dry feet after spending 36hours in swamps and bogs. Interestingly I did get cold toes and ensuing hot aches which I've never had in the past...
 zimpara 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

Guys- goretex socks are for once you've finished for the day, sitting around camp fire cooking etc you put them on so you can still wear your wet boots (unless you bring spare dry boots) without getting granny feet/NFCI.

Jesus Christ! Not for walking all day in or cycling. Get a brain
Clauso 01 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Plastic bags are for the end of the day. Goretex costs too much. Get a grip!
 marsbar 01 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

You buy goretex socks to sit around in? Wtaf?
 The Potato 01 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

yeah whats wrong with flip flops for camp?
 zimpara 01 Mar 2015
In reply to ow arm:

There are days for flip flops, and days for goretex socks.
 marsbar 01 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

But only when sitting?!
 r0b 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

Sealskinz are rubbish IMHO. Every time I've tried them after one long day in the hills they are trashed and will leak on the next outing.

Army surplus GoreTex socks which you can get off ebay for about 12 quid are much better, don't be put of by appearances they look ridiculous but are fine in use.
 zimpara 01 Mar 2015
In reply to r0b:

Yes. Exactly why they aren't made for a long day in the hills. Its most times not possible to keep you feet dry during the day. But at night. You want them dry, especially if you're still wearing WET boots.
Lusk 01 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

I find it's better to try and dry my wet boots in the evening, rather than tromping around in them!
 zimpara 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:
What do you think dries them faster. Them sitting in a tent, or wearing them.
Here's a hint-wearing them!

And if they got outside for more than a few hours, they'd find they might actually want to have a pair of boots on their feet when theyre trudging around in the dark for a piss etc
Post edited at 21:55
 r0b 02 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Not sure why you keep banging on about this, I'll decide when I want to wear waterproof socks thanks.

And as someone else has already said plastic bags between dry socks and wet shoes are cheaper and lighter than goretex and have been used for overnight stops in mountain marathons for years.
needvert 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:
Ironically the only reason I'd consider waterproof (and thus likely very unbreathable) socks is to keep my boots dry..
Post edited at 09:09
 Simon Caldwell 02 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

After 5 hours cycling and running in wind rain and snow yesterday my feet stayed warm and dry, wearing Sealskinz. Friends wearing ordinary socks couldn't feel their feet by the end.
Can't believe I was so stupid, next time I'll save the Sealskinz for the drive home - thanks for the useful advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...