UKC

What to do with retired gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pbob 28 Feb 2015
OK. Bit of an odd question. I've just just dug my old rack out of the loft after a decade and decided to retire some old gear. Most of it can happily go in the bin or get used for misc non-climbing related use in the garage or whatever. But there is some gear which either looks too good to just throw or might have use other than climbing. I've got some 10 year old slings which don't look like they've ever been near rock. And I've got some very small rocks/peanuts which are showing little tiny bits of rust. I don't want to use them for climbing. I don't want anyone else to use them for climbing (if I'm not prepared to use them then I couldn't in all conscience let anyone else). Anyone got any thoughts about what I could do with them. I would stick them on the for sale forum or eBay with a clear statement that they aren't safe but I'm afraid they would end up on eBay with no mention of their history. Any thoughts? Cheers
In reply to Pbob:

Jewellery-earrings &/or necklace/pendant made from smallish polished brass peanuts could be desirable (I will have the earrings please!). Nik
 Jimbo C 28 Feb 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Send them to DMM and let them pull test them so that you can find out that they actually would have been ok to climb on.

Robert Durran 28 Feb 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:
> (In reply to Pbob)
>
> Send them to DMM......

No. Send them to me. I promise I won't climb with them. Honestly...
Lusk 28 Feb 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Chuck it all in the appropriate recycling bins!
 cuppatea 28 Feb 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Send them to DMM and let them pull test them so that you can find out that they actually would have been ok to climb on.

Will they do that? I have some old old stuff, including a few quick draw tapes that i never used as they were too short. Sometimes wonder how strong they are now..
 gethin_allen 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Send them to DMM and let them pull test them so that you can find out that they actually would have been ok to climb on.

I was thinking the same, they are sometimes seem at events like with their test rig destroying carabiners for entertainment so may want to destroy some free stuff.

Although, if they prove that it's all bomber they could be doing themselves out of jobs.
 BusyLizzie 01 Mar 2015
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Gerroff, Nik, I want the earrings!
Lx
 climber david 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Slings are pretty useful for hanging things. Even if you couldn't use them I'm sure a local scout group etc would be able to use them. As long as they know they can't be used for climbing etc obviously
 kylo-342 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Pbob:

Old nuts on wire: I larksfoot a chain of them and use them to hang bird feeders off trees - very squirrel proof

Old slings - to hang hammock in the garden for the children

Nick_Scots 01 Mar 2015
I have old screwgates and snap links as door and cupboard handles, two linked via a wire nut as a bog roll holder. The two Krause are vertical screwed in to a wooden plate, wire clipped between them horizontally. Other nuts in an arc as a clock. As a tech teacher, easy to make these things !

I have a house number outside which is made of a dismantled stainless steel mountain bike rear cassette. Re use them in a non climbing product, otherwise known as 'up scaling'.
 PPP 01 Mar 2015

Damn now I want a necklace as well! Just don't have any old nuts though .
In reply to PPP:

If you live long & prosper you will end up with old nuts aplenty. N
 barbeg 02 Mar 2015

...I've got old nuts, and they still work......

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

ANdy
 jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Pbob:

> I've got some 10 year old slings which don't look like they've ever been near rock.

Personally, I'd climb on them.

> And I've got some very small rocks/peanuts which are showing little tiny bits of rust. I don't want to use them for climbing. I don't want anyone else to use them for climbing (if I'm not prepared to use them then I couldn't in all conscience let anyone else).

Why not just present them honestly and let someone else decide if you don't want them. They could be displacing worse condition nuts form someone else's rack!

> ...I'm afraid they would end up on eBay with no mention of their history. Any thoughts? Cheers

Caveat emptor!

jk
 jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to cuppatea:

> Will they do that? I have some old old stuff, including a few quick draw tapes that i never used as they were too short. Sometimes wonder how strong they are now..

Read the label, 22kN probably
jk
 PPP 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> Read the label, 22kN probably

> jk

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/qc-lab-gear-doesnt-last-forever--slings...

Gear doesn't last forever... No surprise!
 cuppatea 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Hohoho

I've an old extender that's been my keyring for 20+ years and at the bottom of my gear box some that were bought at the same time but stored dark and dry. It'd be interesting to compare the strength of them.
 jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to PPP:

> Gear doesn't last forever... No surprise!

No, but...

An excerpt from your interesting link: Looking at all the slings and quickdraws we've tested over the years, I'd say there are two main factors that cause a reduction in strength:

Abrasion
UV

Neither of those are likely to be a big issue for unused gear that's been in storage.

jk
 berna 03 Mar 2015
In reply to Pbob:

I am looking for small nuts to fashion into zipper tabs. I plan on cutting the wire off so certainly will not be climbed on. Happy to pay for post if you have any you can spare

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...