UKC

Subacromial decompression and AC joint excision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The sharp end 01 Mar 2015
Hiya folks,

Anyone had this op and willing to share their recovery stories? Feel lonely and missing climbing. I have had arthroscopic decompression plus they removed some of my clavicle.

I am three and half weeks post op and can move and lift my arm just about fully but have pain. Physios say it is a remarkable range of movement so early on and have giving me positive stories but I am in pain and have developed a weird pain down the bicep whenever I lower my arm. They said absolutely no hanging or any weight bearing exercises for six weeks and no climbing for 3-4 months. I met someone yesterday that said he was back climbing gently by three weeks! And another UKCer told me he has no pain few weeks post op. Wow.

Wondering if anyone else had the same/similar op and wondering what their recovery was like. How long did you take to get back to climbing?

I know everyone is different and different bodies have different recovery stories. Am simply curious and shoulders are on my mind a lot.

Any info would be appreciated. I had out a thread some time back but couldn't post back again. So after a year of pain, physio and cortisone injections they decided for an op. Here I am

In reply to The sharp end:

Sounds complicated and painful! Not had the operation, but I've had a sore shoulder off and on for a few years now so I'm starting to think there may be a bigger problem then just a strain/imbalance. What were your symptoms before surgery?

Thanks,

David
OP The sharp end 01 Mar 2015
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Hi....initially started with pain in shoulder when trying to push my grade. Then become catching pain when removing Jumpers and simply elevating arm outside of climbing. Then proper pain during most climbing/overhead activities regardless of effort. SLAP tears give similar symptoms and I have minor fraying of several tendons...follow my advice...get it checked out now.

jon 01 Mar 2015

I went through the cortisone etc... even acupuncture, then surgery. You're not alone with the post op pain and slow recovery compared to other people's experiences. See mine and other's comments in this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=608408&v=1#x7980858

It WILL be OK, though!
 ericinbristol 01 Mar 2015

I went through the whole thing myself. After failed all sorts of things for years, had the same surgery. Before the surgery I had peaked at F7c+, down to F7b in April 2013 and had to stop climbing completely. Sept 2013: surgery. Dec 2013: VERY light resistance in rehab. April 2014: F6a. July 2014: F7a. Continuing to build up and now I am close on redpoint for an F7b+ and one move off doing all the moves on two F7cs.

In sum
- do the rehab with total commitment and listen to your body
- stick to the plan and build up slowly and steadily.

The best thing for me is that I used to have chronic impingement in my right shoulder. Now they have trimmed the collarbone that is impossible and it has opened up a whole level of training I wasn't able to do before.

I still have significantly limited reach and range with my right arm but that is coming along too.

OP The sharp end 01 Mar 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:

Thanks Jon and Eric. Eric well done on an amazing recovery. Jon will look up those threads thanks. Can I ask you both if they resected/cut your CA ligament too? They did with me and suddenly wondering how this will affect my climbing.
 Tim Sparrow 01 Mar 2015

Positive hope for me too then. Orthopaedic appointment pending after 18 months of decline to the point where I have virtually stopped. Rehab exercises working but oh so slowly. GP mentioned Manipulation Under Anaesthetic .... Might try and avoid that one!
 jon 01 Mar 2015

> Can I ask you both if they resected/cut your CA ligament too?

No, just a regular acromioplasty. At three and a half weeks you're bound to still have pain. Physio will get your range of movement, or most of it back. The only thing I still have trouble with is reaching around my back to put my hand in my chalk bag, but this is easily solved by carrying it more over my right hip. I'm quite a bit older than you but nine years after the op I'm still climbing at about the same standard as pre op. Our bodies all repair at different rates so don't be depressed when folk tell you about their own miraculous recoveries.
 SteveSBlake 02 Mar 2015
I've not had this op, but have had several other climbing related interventions.
It's early days in your recovery, your current state is no real indication
of what you'll be like in six months time. Let it heal and follow your rehab
slavishly! Sportspeople can be a bit too introspective post op, we all have
performance expectations that most folks don't have..... All my ops have
worked out for the better. Be patient.

regards,

Steve

Thanks for the info. I've been referred for physic for the second time in a few years now. If it's no better after this bout I'll try and go back to get and push for a scan or something like that.

All the best with the recovery!

Thanks,

David
 indigo 04 Mar 2015

I had the op. about 3 years ago. Made stellar progress post op. then developed frozen shoulder which is a rare but recognised side effect of the op. Took me about 8 months to recover from the frozen shoulder which got me down at the time. I was meticulous with the physio and, with hindsight, too impatient to recover. I know recovery times vary enormously for this op. so be patient. I reckon I was 60% after a year, 90% after 18 months. Now its like new and I'm delighted with my shoulder. If I get my other one done I'll take longer coming back as you do risk injury early on. Think months not weeks, be positive (outcomes for this op. are usually good), be gentle and do the physio religiously. Rgds Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...