UKC

RAB Vapour Rise Guide jacket - any good for UK HILLWALKING?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goofyfoot 02 Mar 2015
RAB Vapour Rise Guide jacket - basically want to know if it's a good equivalent to a buffalo mountain shirt for UK hill walking autumn - spring? warm enough? too warm? does it breathe well enough? is the ventilation adequate?

Don't care about waterproofing as long as i'm warm.

Any good advice or opinions welcome.

Cheers guys.
 CurlyStevo 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:
Have you used the buffalo before?
Have you done much spring and autumn hill walking?

None of the ventilation systems including undoing the front zip (with a back pack on) really work for me, normally I remain too hot and sweaty, if not I'll likely be too hot in some areas of my body and too cold in others!

For spring and autum generally a hard shell top and bottom in case it rains, coupled with your standard walking clothes and maybe an extra fleece will suffice. As you get used to that kit you can then expand your kit based on how your body performs and the kit you have is working.
In reply to Goofyfoot:

I think the Guide is too warm and heavy for UK hillwalking outside winter. But a standard VR jacket is perfect for autumn, spring and cooler summer days. One of the best 'soft shell' type things I've used.
 Iain Thow 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Goofyfoot:

I use a VR Guide jacket from april until about early june for hillwalking/scrambling in Scotland, and for winter walking in the Peak. Also sometimes in Sept/Oct but it's usually pissing down then and I'm wearing Paramo instead. The Guide breathes really well, is pretty windproof and keeps you warm but never clammy (and dry unless in a deluge). It is rather heavy (and the pockets wet out easily) but I like the huge pockets (which I tend to fill up, thus making it even heavier). Had it a couple of years now and it's one of my most used bits of kit, would recommend it highly for about 9 months of the year.

Iain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...