UKC

Beryl Burton.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 02 Mar 2015
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/31641006

Quite a story. A phenomenal effort.
 The New NickB 02 Mar 2015
In reply to TMM:

Difficult to compare to any other rider really. Nicole Cooke has won nearly as many British Road Race Titles (10 to Beryl's 13), but Road Racing wasn't even Burton's best discipline. Must be one of very few women in history to hold an outright WR in a competitive physical event. A simple comparison of the men's and women's hour records shows that it shouldn't really be possible.
 balmybaldwin 02 Mar 2015
In reply to TMM:

Amazing, I love this little insight into just how competitive she was:

Mum and daughter raced against each other on a number of occasions and at the 1975 National Championships, Denise outsprinted Beryl to claim her first national road title. On the podium her mum broke cycling etiquette by refusing to shake her hand.
"I don't think she knew why she did it," said Burton-Cole. "If she was alive today, I don't think she'd know. She desperately wanted to win and I beat her and she took it very hard."

She was quite clearly a remarkable woman.
Removed User 02 Mar 2015
In reply to TMM:

This was some phenomenal lady. I only raced against her once in a 25 mile TT in North Yorkshire. I was starting 2 mins behind her and just before I set off, the starter said "do you know who that was?" When I acknowledged that I did he said"you won't see her before the finish" I did managed to catch her before halfway but by then she was well past her prime but she is still one of my all time heroines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...