UKC

Best warm weather walking boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robertjread01 02 Mar 2015
Hi all, need some good sound advice, I am embarking on an expedition to the Grand Canyon. A mixture of rafting and mid to heavy hiking and am looking for advice on a good pair of hot weather walking boots.

Ideally something that won't break the bank, but will be comfortable, breathable, and offer the support need, ideally can stand a light splash or two.

Any advice greatly appreciated
 SenzuBean 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Robertjread01:
Can give some general advice - basically if you expect to fully submerge the boots fairly regularly, waterproof boots fill up via the top, and will not dry out, and you will squelch yourself quickly to blister town (and it's just plain annoying).
Similarly in a hot climate, a waterproof boot is going to overheat your feet and you'll have less enjoyment as your aching feet will be a distraction.

Try and find out about the routes - if they are fairly well-formed (from my experience in the US, most routes are pretty well-formed) then I'd go for non-waterproof trail runners. Utterly breathable, enough support, and super lightweight and comfy. If you get a bit wet, then these shoes will dry out the quickest as well (whereas a waterproof shoe, once wet, will take much longer to dry out).

Inov8 do good trail runners, Merrel do good breathable hiking shoes/boots (but still goretex).

Also, if you go for trail runners - get a set of well-fitting ankle gaiters, as they will help to stop debris from entering the top of the shoe (as when you get debris in the shoe, you stop, take shoes off, shake it out, waste some time- or worse, you keep going with a stone in your shoe for ages until everyne else has a break - better to just avoid the hassle with ankle gaiters, although they might be too hot in places, but they're good to have even if you never used them).

Hope that helped a bit.
Post edited at 20:59
Robertjread01 02 Mar 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
Thanks for the advice, I guessed avoiding waterproofed items would be an idea as there is a chance of walking in creeks.

Really appreciate your advice.
 ablackett 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Robertjread01:

Just get some light fell shoes, I would take Inov8 Xtallon 212's. Have a go with them and I bet you find you don't need ankle support, yes, you get wet feet, but you won't get blisters.

I know it sounds crazy, but I promise you i'm not an idiot, just a convert to wearing fell shoes in all but full on winter conditions.
 SenzuBean 02 Mar 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Inov8 roclites over here - bloody good shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...