UKC

Pheasant a la mondeo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 02 Mar 2015

I'm after delicious recipe suggestions for the majority of an unfortunate bird (fresh, not hung). Shoot away.
jk
Post edited at 20:43
Graeme G 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Have you checked you're lights? You won't have much left to cook it with once you've repaired your car. Bloody birds have cost me £270 in the last few years!!
 blurty 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Don't eat it if the shit bag has burst
OP jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Nice clean hit on the bonnet and all in one piece so... casserole or something more interesting?
jk
 jon 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> Nice clean hit on the bonnet and all in one piece so... casserole or something more interesting?

Coq au van?

aln 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Confit with lots of butter, couple of Bay leaves and a handful of black peppercorns. Also good done in the oven with cider and apple chunks, after cooking make a sauce with the cooking liquid and cream.
 FesteringSore 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Just a reminder that if YOU hit and picked it up you are then guilty of poaching. For a small consideration I'll not breath a word. My usual fee is a bottle of decent brandy
In reply to aln:

If there are skin wounds, open fractures or internal damage, I usually just take off the breast meat rather than risk the whole (?contaminated) bird, though I guess even contaminated it's probably still safer than if it was stuffed full of lead.

Then wrap in bacon and do with Cider/apple => cider sauce as per aln above.
OP jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

So apples and cider seem popular. Any other suggestions?
jk
 Dave Garnett 02 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:
Try to get a rabbit to casserole it with. Don't run it over it unless you are aiming for a pate starter.
Post edited at 22:17
OP jkarran 02 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I'll see what I can do and the dog's always keen but it's not really rabbit season yet.

jk
 The Potato 03 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:

ive tried pheasant roadkill a few ways, the nicest was casserole with some red wine.
id not leave roadkill to hang either, although once I got one with head trauma only and hung it for 3 days then roast it, served with a tart jelly lie blackcurrant
 Pete Houghton 03 Mar 2015
In reply to ow arm:

The last clandestine pheasant I cooked I jointed into 8, seared in far too much butter, then braised low-and-slow with sausagemeat meatballs, beer, and one or two juniper berries, for a carbonnade-style stew.

The last above-board pheasant I cooked was peeled, not plucked, smothered in herb butter (thyme and sage from the windowsill), wrapped entirely in thinly-sliced then stretched-out streaky bacon (drag it across a chopping board with the flat of a knife), and roasted hot-and-fast.
 The Potato 03 Mar 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:

its definately easier to peel / skin it and it makes it easier to see injuries to the flesh too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...