UKC

AAA Batteries - Best??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buffalo606 06 Mar 2015
What are the best AAA batteries for rechargeable Led Lenser head torch?

Either rechargeable or non for a week in the alps (without access to recharge until off glacier).
In reply to buffalo606:

Sanyo Eneloop.
 Inchewan 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Would agree with Sanyo Eneloop, as was, though they are now taken over by Panasonic.
Try Panasonic Eneloop Pro AAA 900mAh Ni-MH. These are 1.2 v Low Self Discharge. Factory pre-charged.
Price £10.99 for pack of 4.
Also good are Ansmann Maxe 800mAh Ni-MH, These are 1.2 v Low Self Discharge. Factory precharged.
Price £6.49 for pack of 4.
Try avoid the ultra high capacity batteries as they discharge themselves.
If you are going on long mountain trip try Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA 1.5 volt Disposables. Price £11.75 for pack of 10.
I am going on 8 day trip at Easter taking the Lithiums for headtorch AAA, GPS AA and Camera AA, they are also half the weight.

Martin W 07 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Lidl are doing their hybrid (low self-discharge, ready-to-use ie same idea as the Eneloop) NiMH rechargeables again from Monday 9th March: http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=21513...

I've got loads of these in different sizes and I've had no problems with them at all - which is more than I can say for some of the branded ones I've bought over the years. Far too many Panasonic Infiniums have gone to the battery recycling bin way too early in their life.
 StuDoig 07 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Another vote for eneloops - mine have far outpeformed other batteries I've used.

Cheers!

Stuart
 AlanLittle 07 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Eneloops for general use, lithiums for the emergency spare set.
OP buffalo606 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Martin W:

Lidl it is on Monday, cheers for all the info all
 ChrisJD 07 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Sanyo Eneloop
 Inchewan 11 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

May I add a further comment or two which may help you, and others, in the eternal quest for the 'Best AAA/AA re-chargeable Batteries'. Firstly, check that they are compatible with the head torch or gadget to be used. Not all gadgets are interchangeable with re-chargeables, disposables and/or lithium disposables. Next, it is vitally important to match your chosen 'Best Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries' with the 'Best Charger'. This will ensure that you obtain the optimum 'C' rate to provide best capacity performance. The latest chargers will take 4xAAA or 4xAA, they are compact, lightweight, portable, include a fan, and microprocessor control. Expect to pay up to £30 with batteries included. Sometimes you get what you pay for to get the 'best'.

Do's - Upgrade to the latest compatible compact NiMh charger.
Do's - Use a 4 hour charge cycle to prolong battery lifespan. Sometimes referred to as Rapid or Normal.
Do's - Opt for Low Self Discharge, preferable to Ultra High Capacity battery type.
Do's - Put new batteries through several charge/discharge cycles for best capacity performance.
Do's - Put freshly charged batteries into head torch or device daily, where practical. Perfect for long nights, or epics. Or both.
Do's - Keep batteries warm before use.

AND

Don'ts - Use old cheap chargers, especially NiCad types. Technology has moved on, a lot.
Don'ts - Leave batteries in charger after fully charged. Especially long periods.
Don'ts - Use a long slow trickle charge 15-20 hours. Not good for NiMh batteries.
Don'ts - Use an ultra fast charge 1-2 hours. It causes stress which shortens battery lifespan.

Try this link for updates on Chargers, 'C' rates, and batteries in general.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/all_about_chargers

Have a good glacier trip with your battery/head-torch of choice.

gergosantha 12 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Non rechargeable but unbelievably long lasting:

http://www.energizer.com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries
 steveshaking 12 Mar 2015
In reply to gergosantha:

There is a Which report on AAA rechargeable that agrees that Eneloop XX 900mA their best rating, the 800mA aren't in the best buy category . In the best buy cat are 7day shop "good to go" 850mA at only 40% of the cost, but lower in capacity.
Personally I would buck the trend and suggest high capacity batteries, 7day shop 1100mA did have the highest high drain life of all the batteries tested, are half the price of the Eneloop XX, you just have to be aware they lose charge over time (this is a significant issue with these batteries, but not over a weekend or even a week or 2). If you are going out on a winter trip etc I would always recharge the batteries anyway shortly before the trip - that's one of the advantages of rechargeables, so self discharge isn't really an issue and you will get more useful time out of the battery. But I concede if you are carrying a head torch for emergency use then having longer life batteries would be worthwhile.
 gergosantha 16 Mar 2015
In reply to steveshaking:

I'm not using rechargable batteries in my Canon pocket camera because I haven't found any which lasts over a day. I've had my experience when something interesting was under way and my camera collapsed. These Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are working, I admit that they are not the greenest solutions around but...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...