UKC

Dubai / UAE climbing & guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 07 Mar 2015
Going out to Dubai next month to stay with my brother for a week.

Any recommendations on best crags within easyish reach of the city by car for day trips, and whether to go for a trad rack or just take sport gear.

Would love to get some multi-pitch in ideally.

Also, any crags to avoid? Will order the guidebook soon.
 steve taylor 07 Mar 2015
In reply to lewismansell:

Try the page "Real UAE Rock Climbers" on Facebook. It seems to be pretty active and someone will respond to any queries.

I've not climbed in UAE myself, but Oman is wonderful.
Hi Lewis,

By a twist of fate I have a brand new copy of the guide to UAE climbing (bt Red Armada) that I was intending to use but I ended up going to The Sudan instead.

You can have it for a bargain price as I suspect I won't use it.

Cheers,
Martin
OP rockwing 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Sorry Frank, just bought a copy from BMCShop...
 seankenny 08 Mar 2015

This could be a question to ask elsewhere, if you catch my drift.

It's 14 years since I last climbed there - but keep in touch with many of the activists who can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/UAE.Rock.Climbers/

There's a lot to go at - though many locations documented in the Red Armada guide and in the original CD guide (aka 'The Book of Choss') are either strictly out of bounds - or there are border crossing issues. Most climbing is about 1 - 2 hours out of the city, and many crags are accessible by car - though a 4wd is handy for the ground clearance!

Hatta Crag is the closest to Dubai, and has a good mix of single pitch sport and trad toutes.

Just outside Ras al Khaimah is Wadi Qada'a which has many good sport and trad routes - mostly single pitch , but few longer routes 2-3 pitches.

Big multipitch routes can be found in Wadi Ghalilah - though the Red Armada guide only lists a few in one 'sector'. In recent times there has been a revival of interest in that side of things after a decade where the emphasis has been on developing hard sports climbs.

Upper Wadi Bih is now strictly off limits - which is a real shame as there are some brilliant crags and routes of all types. In lower Wadi Bih 300m plus routes can be found on Jebel Hila - which only gets a passing mention in the RA guide. A number of routes are described in Wadi Shaha - but this has been an area of major development since the RA guide. As far as I know quite a bit of info on these areas can be gleaned from Red Armada's website - together with pdf versions of those bits of the Book of Choss not incorporated into the RA guide.

Wonderwall - beyond Al Ain - is well worth a visit - however there are border crossing issues, and if you're only there for a short trip it might prove a bit of a hassle. The guys on the FB group will have the latest info.

Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...