UKC

High Risk - Iain Thomson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 08 Mar 2015
Can anyone point me to where I can buy this book in physical rather than digital form?
 Steve Perry 08 Mar 2015
In reply to drmarten:

I read The Black Cloud but hadn't heard of this. Please post if you find out.
drmarten 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:
I'm hoping Captain Solo can help - I've just noticed this post (thread now archived).

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=607593

I thought The Black Cloud was very good, I'm keen to read this one as well.
edited to add : It's reviewed in the current edition of the MCofS magazine, but I've now passed that on and can't remember if it mentioned format or not. Anyone help?
Post edited at 20:19
 Bob Aitken 08 Mar 2015
In reply to drmarten:

As I understand it, 'High Risk' is available only in Kindle format. If you Google 'High Risk Iain Thomson' you'll get the Amazon purchase details.
I suspect Captain Solo's perhaps confusing this Iain Thomson (who I think lives in Nairn or thereabouts) with Iain R Thomson, author of 'Isolation Shepherd', 'The Long Horizon' and at least two other books (who I think lives in Inverness). Easily done ...
 OMR 08 Mar 2015
In reply to drmarten:

I mentioned in the magazine it was available on Kindle but maybe could have added that, at the moment, it is ONLY available as an e-book. I exchanged a couple of emails with Iain Thomson and he has no plans at the moment for a print version. Hopefully there'll be enough demand to justify one though.
 Clarence 09 Mar 2015
In reply to OMR:

Might Lulu be an option, I know a few people who have offered physical copies of successful e-books through print on demand sites.
drmarten 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Bob Aitken/OMR:
Thanks for that, I'll wait awhile, hopefully there may be a change of plan and a physical copy produced.
Shame though, as I'd have thought the success of The Black Cloud would have meant a real book might have been offered.

gilliesp 26 Mar 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Just saw this post. Iain is a friend of mine and included one of my photographs in the book. He had a prolonged publishing let down regarding a paper copy. That is why he took the e-book initiative and now it is only available on Kindle. Personally I would love to see interest generated and a paper copy produced eventually. IMHO Iain puts a staggering amount of painstaking research into his works. Also, monies generated by the print version was going to be donated to Mountain Rescue.
drmarten 26 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Thanks for that, I thought the Black Cloud was a really good book for its historical and educational content. The worry for us real book enthusiasts is that an e-book on release will slowly erode the demand for the real book, I'm sure many people will be satisfied to read the e-book and not bother with any subsequently published paper book.

I'll resist the e-book/kindle version as I would only be aiding and abetting the situation

gilliesp 26 Mar 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Yes, I see your logic. I too am a 'real book' enthusiast, and like to pick a volume from the bookshelf and see it there - as a reminder to read it again. The e-book is, for me, useful for books I perhaps wouldn't read again.

The Black Cloud and High Risk are certainly educational. When I did D of E work many years ago I referred to the former with its implied lessons on 'what not to do' in planning and executing a trip into the hills. Hindsight accepted! High Risk is a bit more modern times with many characters still alive and kicking. I still wonder at Glenmore Lodge's Winter ML ventures into the Cairngorms in the face of very inclement forecasts. And, ditto, guides on the Ben..... But let's not go there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...