UKC

Flying - Sports Equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am currently starting to think about my trip to the Alps (Cham region) and due to my lack of Western European trips in the last 5-10 years I am now trying to educate myself on the apparent horrors of cheap flights!

I have searched past threads for the answer but I can't seem to figure it out. Basically: Sporting Equipment - can I just pile it all into my 20KG allowance or do I need a separate 'sports equipment' bag for things like quickdraws, ropes, harness, boots etc? My understanding is that 'sports equipment' is unwieldy items like skis and kayaks, but just making sure. Will probably fly EasyJet from the looks of things, but any other recommendations/tips are appreciated!
 Mountain Llama 09 Mar 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Yep your right sports equipment covers skis, bikes etc, you can just put climbing gear in you regular hold bag.
mick taylor 10 Mar 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

IIRC, with Ryanair, 3 of us chipped for a 'sporting item', which was a large rucksack loaded with all the heavy climbing gear. Worked out not too expensive and meant we could pack a few other essentials (boxes of wine - climbing in Norway!)
 nutme 10 Mar 2015

You are fine to pack everything to one bag and check it in. Usually when traveling we are going with one big bag for 2 - 4 people and each with ~45L backpack we are taking to cabin with us.

You are ok to take harness, helmet, crabs and sling in to a cabin. You can even put a helmet on your head to save space. Safety first! Just attach it to a backpack and if RyanAir minion have problems with it put it on your head. Rope is sometimes stopped by security.. I am still not sure that danger it posses, but some particular security officers consider it to be a dangerous thing to carry in to a cabin.

Another thing you may consider is to buy new gear in a country of your destination. Ropes in Austria for example are generally 25% cheaper than in UK.
Post edited at 15:48
 ericinbristol 10 Mar 2015
In reply to nutme:

Anyone who tries to carry rope, helmet, krabs or slings is liable to have security refuse to allow them to take them on board.
 nutme 10 Mar 2015
So far I had only rope triggering paranoia on security check. Did you had problems with slings and krabs?

Helmet can't be a problem ever, because it is a headdress.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...