UKC

Rjukan conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 10 Mar 2015
Anyone in Rjukan at the moment? Do you have a condition report? I'm aware it's been warm, although it's getting a bit colder from Wednesday onwards I see. Any info on 'what's in Nick' is much appreciated from WI 2 - 5.
 summo 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Drew52:

the paddling will be good. I came back from a little further north than there yesterday. The speed of thaw is/was amazing from about Saturday lunch time onwards. Normally in spring temps creep up, but it was in double figures on Sunday and Monday in many places, record spring temps were recorded for the past 50 or 60years.

OP Drew52 10 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

Best take the skis aswell then.....
 summo 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Drew52:
> Best take the skis aswell then.....

good look, I was skiing and it rapidly became much less fun. As I live over this way now, I see no need to do Scottish style slush skiing, I'll just wait until it's better or do something else.
Post edited at 13:10
OP Drew52 10 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

I guess you don't work for visit Notway! Not really selling it to me...... Sounds like you made the wrong move moving there? Ha!
 summo 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Drew52:
I live next in Sweden, but I can drive to places in the range of Rjukan, Lillehammer like I used to drive to North Wales or Scotland from North Yorkshire when I lived there, except I won't meet any congestion. For smaller alpine ski areas I have 3 within an hour of home. Or locally I can ski from my door for 2-3 months of winter, skate the lakes in winter or swim them in the summer when they'll be over 20degrees C... I'd say I made a good move!?

Oh, did I mention free parking at these places, zero litter and true open access...?

The difference is that you might look at the forecast for the Lakes, N Wales or various bits of Scotland and wonder if conditions are good, worth the drive. I do the same over here, winters are generally long and reliable, I don't need to make trips when it's marginal, there is always another week. This place has skiing until the end of Jun, it doesn't even open until Feb when it's not so cold or dark anymore. http://riksgransen.se/

I might not get a job with 'visit Norway' but I would not lie out of some pride and say it's great right now either.
OP Drew52 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Drew52:

So.... getting back to what this forum is about. Is anyone in Rjukan at the moment with a conditions report? Thanks
 Mr. Lee 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Drew52:

> I'm aware it's been warm, although it's getting a bit colder from Wednesday onwards I see.

Nope. Looks far too warm:

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/

gilliesp 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Two days ago folks were climbing at Gausta (snow shoes or ski required) and Krokan still had Bullen looking full and Unknown enticing but lots of running water noises.
OP Drew52 28 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

We had a great 9 days of climbing in nice chewy ice up to WI5. It paid to stay until March and have all the routes to ourselves. Got an excellent ski tour and gully skiing on Gaustatoppen on our last day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...