UKC

Brothers and Sisters of Kintail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 10 Mar 2015
I'm up there next week and just wondered if anyone has linked the 2 together? I gather its about 20km (cool with that) with 2000+ metres ascent (seems tough!).

Any thoughts, tips appreciated.
In reply to mick taylor:

It's a great route. Without checking a map 20km and 2000m+ sounds about right. Yes it's fairly tough but with an early start I think you'd find that it's fine for a long day. The terrain is not too bad, and once you're up high on the ridge running the two groups together is the natural thing to do.

If you have two days to spare and a bit more tolerance for hard work then the bigger circuit also including Beinn Fhada and Ciste Dubh is a truly brilliant walk; you've even got Camban bothy sort of half way. I make that 35km and 3870m ascent, so it's nearly twice as hard. But worth it.
In reply to mick taylor:

Just noticed it's next week. If there's proper winter on the ground, particularly deep snow, then even 'just' doing the Brothers and Sisters would be a challenge. Might even feel quite mountaineery, depending on conditions. Of course it's anyone's guess what conditions will be like but I'd bear that in mind.
mick taylor 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks for this. i normally pray for full on winter conditions, but would be more than happy with relatively snow free. Forecast looking dry and calm. First hill walking ( rather than climbing) holiday in many a year and cant wait!!!
 kwoods 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Belter of a day out! Try and get the views from these. Really enjoyable long, high-level walking terrain. I've connected them once in thick mist and drizzle, and the other in warm July sun - the latter was absolutely magnificent.
 Robert Durran 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

If you do it west to east, you can leave a bike near the Cluanie Inn and have a nice free wheel down the Glen to end the day. I once included Beinn Fhada in the same day but it was a pretty hard one!
 malky_c 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Or you can use the bus. Although very expensive for the distance if you are only going from one end of the glen to the other. Much more reasonable if you are travelling to Kintail for the day from somewhere else:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
 dmhigg 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mick taylor:
I cycled in to Glenlicht house on the North side, then started with Ciste Dhubh. About 5 hours (running) I think. Good trip with the section up the valley past the waterfalls just as good as coming back along the ridge.
Post edited at 13:28
 Flinticus 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Or you can hitch, which I did once and got a lift form a Norwegian death metaller driving a quarry truck. Little English but that was a mote point as the music was blaring.
 kwoods 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I tried to hitch Glen Shiel once from the base of Sgurr Fhuaran, it took half an hour before someone stopped (worse than normal imo!). What I didn't tell them was I'd just waded the river up to my waist and was now sitting in their car for the 15-20 minutes back to the Cluanie.
 BnB 11 Mar 2015
In reply to kwoods:

It's very hard to hitch in Glen Shiel as cars are all doing 60+. Best spot at the bottom is by the feral goats at the turn-off to Glenelg as cars have to slow here. At the top, Cluanie Inn of course.
 Robert Durran 11 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Best spot at the bottom is by the feral goats at the turn-off to Glenelg.

And you'll find it useful to take a bearing on the obvious sheep when descending off the ridge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...