UKC

Mitre Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone know/reckon if this will be in at the weekend?

Also what's the deal with the howff/bothy up there? How habitable is it? If I'm walking in all that way I might as well stay two days.

Cheers, Tom
 Michael Gordon 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

If the Norries/Lochnagar are white, I imagine this would be a fair bet. Would have thought turf should still be frozen.

The howff is perfectly habitable, provided you know where it is!
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Cheers. Where is it?
 Rick Graham 10 Mar 2015

Hi Tom

You need to decide which way to walk in.

If you come in from the North (Tomintoul ) its further to cycle but a spartan hut where you can walk up the valley to the crag. Went past 2 years ago , take a few short felt nails and a metre square of strong polythene for the window and hope the door is still on.
Also a very good bothy two?miles further up the main valley.

Check snow levels if you use the normal summer approach from the South, a mountain bike will save a lot of time, especially on the way back. Not sure of bothy / howff on this side.

Could be a good time for the approach if the crag is still in nick, looking at the Lairig Ghru photos recently.

You could always walk in , climb the route half in dark and get back to the car 24 hours after leaving it like on FA of Cumming Crofton
 Michael Gordon 10 Mar 2015

I'm afraid tradition dictates that I can't divulge that information (it is the Secret Howff after all!). If you want to stay there you'll have to go in with someone who knows the location.
 Rick Graham 10 Mar 2015

Not that secret!

Google "Secret Howff" Tom.
 Tricadam 11 Mar 2015

> If the Norries/Lochnagar are white, I imagine this would be a fair bet. Would have thought turf should still be frozen.

Lochnagar was black on Sunday and the turf unfrozen. Conditions this week look to be changing that though. Could be a good weekend all round!
 Michael Gordon 11 Mar 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Yes I was surprised about that (the turf)! The weekend looks nice but I'm not sure how white things will be.

Anyone fancy PMing a grid reference please?

Cheers, Tom
 Andy Nisbet 11 Mar 2015

> Anyone fancy PMing a grid reference please?

> Cheers, Tom

As soon as anyone does that on a public forum, the estate will demolish it. So that won't work.

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> As soon as anyone does that on a public forum, the estate will demolish it. So that won't work.

In that case. Please don't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...