UKC

Ace Of Spades. Slow ACOUSTIC blues version by Lemmy & guitarist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 10 Mar 2015

I've just come across this and really like it. It's got me wondering how many Motorhead other songs could be redone as blues numbers.

youtube.com/watch?v=sjkzbCkZEuQ&
OP Timmd 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:
I do love the fast version, have been playing it almost daily recently for some reason, but don't you think it shows the blues roots behind much of rock and heavy metal?
Post edited at 21:36
 Mountain Llama 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Ok as long as your not secretly listening too youtube.com/watch?v=9YdkolAEHj4&
 Ashley 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Go and find their acoustic version of Ain't No Nice Guy.
 Ashley 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Also, I presume you know about Lemmy's rockabilly side project, The Heat Cat?
OP Timmd 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Ashley:

No I didn't, cool, glad I posted, will have a look.
OP Timmd 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> Ok as long as your not secretly listening too youtube.com/watch?v=9YdkolAEHj4&

That's not good.
 Chris Harris 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I've just come across this and really like it. It's got me wondering how many Motorhead other songs could be redone as blues numbers.

It's from an advert:

youtube.com/watch?v=-77sVQ7Zgv0&
 goose299 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Quite like that
OP Timmd 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Ashley:
It's the Head Cat, it turns out. The two hour long film about him is quite good, it gives the odd insight into his personality, and is kind of funny in places. A member of Head Cat talks about sitting down with Lemmy to rehearse and have a drink one night, about not a lot of rehearsing getting done and him having to go to hospital the next day to be treated for alcohol poisoning having had a drink with Lemmy.

I'd wish anybody a long life, but I hope Lemmy lasts long enough for me to see Motorhead live, I had my older brother playing bands like Metallica and Motorhead all the time when I was a young child, and music like that has only started sounding fresh again in my mid 30's, I heard it all the time until I was ten. I've never disliked it, I'd just had my fill it seems.
Post edited at 17:44
OP Timmd 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Ashley:
> Go and find their acoustic version of Ain't No Nice Guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=L_VEdra0wUE&

>It's good to see another side to musicians.

Hear another side.
Post edited at 18:05
 Ashley 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

You just missed their last tour, I saw them in London in Nov/Dec (can't remember which) last year. Never seen them before and it was a good gig but Lemmy didn't sound quite as on top of the vocals as I've hear in other live bits. Best try and see them soon I guess!
OP Timmd 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Ashley:
> Best try and see them soon I guess!

Indeed.

Half thinking of a trip to Germany to see them, haven't been on holiday for more than 5 years due to feeling too busy, so I guess I deserve a trip.
Post edited at 15:24
 rallymania 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

there's a scene in the movie "eat the rich" where lemmys characters boss is in someones office photgraphing some documents. he's all dressed up in suit and coat etc and while he's working he's humming..

"i was born... for rock and roll

i was built... for speed

la la la laaaaah"
OP Timmd 12 Mar 2015
In reply to rallymania:

I like the way Lemmy comes across as very aware of how lucky he is, and compares him not always feeling like touring to a plumber not wanting to go to work some days, he doesn't seem to see himself as being 'a somebody'.
 Hooo 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I do like this cover, Johnny Cash style... youtube.com/watch?v=fseAVWXVwAs&
I'd still rather see Lemmy do it though. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Motörhead, and they are always absolutely perfect. And they always play Ace of Spades. He must be sick to death of it.
Post edited at 22:31
 Hooo 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

F**k me! This thread reminded me of an acid techno version of AoS that i loved, but was totally unavailable back in the day due to Lemmy despising dance music. Search on YouTube, and here it is:
youtube.com/watch?v=NZIw7hXO17U&
 Hooo 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I suppose this is not really blues either, but it's a different style and it is Lemmy: youtube.com/watch?v=L4vQ-eYgIy0&
cb294 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Couple years ago I saw Motörhead live and they played some acoustic pieces before the final encore (Overkill, as usual).
I thought that acoustic set worked quite well, but I prefer their electric blues experiments (and of course the original AoS version)

youtube.com/watch?v=1O2K28dr3zQ&

CB
OP Timmd 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I've just found this, it's almost like old school Motoerhead, energy wise at least, I like it a lot. It's from Inferno which seems to be one of the few later albums Lemmy is fully pleased with.

I shall be buying the album rather than listening to it on youtube to help fund Lemmy's care when he's partied out.

Worth a listen I reckon...

youtube.com/watch?v=GP4Nfb0c6Ck&

Post edited at 18:31
In reply to Timmd:

After Lemmy got the sack from Hawkwind, Alan Davey formally of gunslinger got the Job.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2...

Alan reformed Gunsligner in the 00's, at that time I was playing guitar for Barnsley heavy Metal Band Timesprout and we played a couple of gigs with Gunslinger. The last been Halloween in Barnsley in 2010. Alan's a lovely guy and probably much more rational than Lemmy (who I haven't met) but he always did remind me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Fudd
 Mark Harding 12 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

I met Lemmy in (I think) 1997 when we supported an early incarnation of Motorhead at a rock club in Chester. The club had a “rock floor” and just above, a “disco floor” and as soon as the doors opened the music was played loud. Before it was time for the bands to go on Lemmy came to find us to ask where they could tune up. This was well before the days of digital tuners and you couldn’t hear yourself properly in the dressing rooms. We’d played there a lot and had found a solution. So, Lemmy and Eddie, together with cans of Carlsberg Special, guitars and a little practice amp followed us into a service lift, which we took to the very top of the building. I remember Lemmy’s comment as we got out into what was essentially an attic full of lift machinery; “You’ve got to be f**king joking”.
OP Timmd 13 Apr 2015
Lemmy reminds me of a quirky family friend who has foibles and very strong views, which aren't always towards the rational end of the spectrum.

Lemmy rescued a girl he was with from being dragged into the back of a van by a guy with a gun though, during the early noughties.

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2002/nov/10/features.magazine17

He's kind of earned his cowboy hat doing that.
Post edited at 01:37
In reply to Timmd:

Yes all though Lemmy is what you could class as wild and crazy, I have much more respect for his rock and roll ethos than the highly respected Jimmy Page.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-wildest-led-zeppelin-legends...
In reply to Mark Harding:

> I met Lemmy in (I think) 1997 when we supported an early incarnation of Motorhead at a rock club in Chester. The club had a “rock floor” and just above, a “disco floor” and as soon as the doors opened the music was played loud. Before it was time for the bands to go on Lemmy came to find us to ask where they could tune up. This was well before the days of digital tuners and you couldn’t hear yourself properly in the dressing rooms. We’d played there a lot and had found a solution. So, Lemmy and Eddie, together with cans of Carlsberg Special, guitars and a little practice amp followed us into a service lift, which we took to the very top of the building. I remember Lemmy’s comment as we got out into what was essentially an attic full of lift machinery; “You’ve got to be f**king joking”.

Great story is the date right though as I had a digi tuner in 97.
 Mark Harding 13 Apr 2015
> (In reply to Mark Harding)
>
> [...]
>
> Great story is the date right though as I had a digi tuner in 97.

John, you are absolutely right the date isn’t correct (by a long way), I haven’t a clue why I put 1997 the actual date was (almost certainly) 1976. I remember their line-up was Lemmy, Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor on drums and Fast Eddie Clarke on guitar and the band hadn’t been formed that long. A quick check on Wikipedia tells me that would fit with 1976.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...