UKC

Haute Route via Grand Lui in early/mid April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 11 Mar 2015
Thinking about this but concerned about it being horrendously busy during holiday period.

Is this likely to be the case and if so has anyone got tips to avoid the crowds or even other routes?

Ta
graham F 11 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

The grand lui section isn't that busy. Stay at aiguilles dorees bivvy or the saleina hut, which mean you can be early on the descent to la fouly. Use plan du Jeu hut near the super St Bernard ski lift. Then go to velan hut. You can make chanrion in a day from there or go into italy . plenty of options.
OP DaveHK 11 Mar 2015
In reply to graham F:

Cheers
 GraB 12 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
When are you going to be out there Dave? Planning on heading back on the 28th at the moment...

OP DaveHK 12 Mar 2015
In reply to GraB:

Not sure at the moment as I haven't spoken to James yet.
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeh it might be busy Dave or at least the huts anyway. Just be first on the hill each morning and then you have the route clear ahead of you. Scottish tactics. Most folk are in guided groups and are pretty slow. You're no slouch!!
In reply to DaveHK:

further on- we couldn't get in the Vignettes- all our bookings ended up out of synch. due to bad weather before we started. After Pigne d'Arolla we continued on in to the last long day of the route and then popped over the Italian border and down to the Nacamuli hut which was a wee gem. Just 8 of us there. Perhaps a 1000ft back uphill in the morning to regain normal route but we were hrs ahead of the crowds and had that day to ourselves. Beautiful and untouched snow. Was a blessing as we beat the impending storm and arrived in Zermatt thinking thank God we're not up there anymore!
 Carless 13 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
Also considering this
Is there enough snow in La Fouly at the moment or how long is the walk likely to be?

Never been this way before

To graham F: is Velan to Chanrion an ok or seriously long day?

Thanks
Post edited at 16:37
 Guy 13 Mar 2015
In reply to Carless:

I reckon it would be doable in good conditions but you would want a good early start so that you weren't too late on the Plateau du Couloir. We did Valsorey to Bouquetins in a day because the Chanrion and Vignettes were booked but it nearly killed me.
OP DaveHK 13 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Great beta folks, thanks very much.
graham F 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Carless:

If you're fit then Vélan to Chanrion is fine. It's a quick ski down from Vélan then 600m up to the Valsorey hut, so adds about 2 hours to the normal day. Plus, it means you climb to Valsorey in the shade (or dark!) instead of in the afternoon sun. I've done it several times and never met another team.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...