UKC

Using gear that has been stored

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tezza 11 Mar 2015
Hi,
A bit of an odd question. I used to go trad climbing quite some time ago, I was competent enough to lead and initially used other people's gear. Anyway eventually, just before I stopped climbing, I splashed out on a new rope (a 50m 10.2mm single), and a new harness. These have stayed in storage unused for almost a decade. Now I have time and am thinking of starting climbing again ...is the gear trustworthy?

I also have some; wired rocks, slings, carabineers etc similarly stored, they have the odd scratch and I'd replace the slings just to be safe - would they be ok.

I have looked at the Harness and the rope and they look almost new, I know they are ten years old - I checked the reciept email - I also know they have never had a leader fall, never got wet and only got used a couple of weekends and a three or four evenings that Summer.

I've tried Gooling and read about things failing due to UV action and abrasion, but these seem fine, stored in a dry cupboard out of sunlight and it's relatively expensive to replace them.

I'm thinking about climbing again later this Spring, would it be safe to use - or is it's age enough to mean it should be discarded?
 IPPurewater 11 Mar 2015
In reply to tezza:

If they were mine, I would use them. Soaking the harness, rope and other nylon items in cold water, then hanging them to air dry should make them a little more supple.

Check there is no corrosion on the wires. Slide the nuts down the wire to make sure there is no hidden corrosion too.

Check the gates on the crabs open and close smoothly.
 Wsdconst 11 Mar 2015
In reply to tezza:
If it was me I'd bite the bullet and replace them,definitely the harness and rope as material will lose strength with age.the metal gear might be ok if checked over.just remember catastrophic failure may cost you more than abit of new gear
 jkarran 11 Mar 2015
In reply to tezza:

If on inspection it seems in good nick, it's been stored clean and out of the sun personally I'd use it all. Much of my kit is that age and some of it's had a hard life. Instructions that came with it would likely suggest retirement for 10yo kit. Ultimately you've gotta make your own decision, it's your kit, your life.

jk
 whenry 11 Mar 2015
In reply to tezza:

If they've been stored properly and look as though they're in good nick, I'd use them - my old harness was over fifteen years old before I threw it away (and used regularly). My ATC and associated crab are both around 17 years old, and used about 4 days a week - both are fine. Of course, if you're perpetually worrying whether your rope's going to disintegrate if you take a fall, and it affects your climbing, then get some shiny new kit.
 Oliver Houston 11 Mar 2015
In reply to tezza:

I'd use them, I've only just replaced a harness I've been using for about 8 years (heavy usage for about 4) and I didn't replace it for safety concerns, I just wanted an extra gear loop...

In fact I still plan on using it indoors. Maybe I should check it over.

I'd have a good play with the rope, check it still had some bounce and maybe take it indoors to practice some "soft" leader falls before relying on it halfway up a rock-face.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...