UKC

Why do my arms hurt after i've been climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I know it sounds a bit stupid but it's a genuine problem. I've climbed for over 20 years (I'm 43) and up until now i could train and climb and get some localised muscle soreness but nothing too painful. I've recently tried to climb harder and train more regularly and I'm getting a real deep ache in my biceps and triceps that takes several days to clear. I'm thinking that I'm just working these muscles too hard but the problem comes back quickly even after a prolonged break, has anyone else had this?
 douwe 11 Mar 2015
In reply to marcusinbristol:

Could be tendinosis of the bicep tendon. Google might help to identify the problem, fysio might be better.
 Ally23 11 Mar 2015
In reply to douwe:

Have a close look at your diet /nutrition

Also regular full body stretching and foam rolling should help.
In reply to Ally23:

What should i be looking out for that i might be missing in my diet?
 Jimbo C 11 Mar 2015

Does this feel like it's on the 'edges' of the muscle or deep inside it?

Does it come on immediately after climbing or the next day or so?
 will909 11 Mar 2015

Just mellow through it
In reply to will909:

I've tried that!
In reply to Jimbo C:

It feels like it's all of the muscle, it's at it's worst after bouldering and comes on straight away. It seems to arrive after i've pulled really hard so you can warm up and it all feels okay until i try something close to my limit and i'm left with a deep ache.
 planetmarshall 12 Mar 2015

Are you doing something new? Or training at a harder level? It could just be your nerves adjusting to a new workload - I'm no expert but it typically takes about 3 weeks for your body to adapt to the 'training effect'.

It'd be worthwhile speaking to a sports physiologist, or buying Dave Macleod's book
 krikoman 12 Mar 2015

> What should i be looking out for that i might be missing in my diet?

Mars bars and beer, you probably need more of both.

Oh! and try and have sex more often too.
 zimpara 12 Mar 2015

Bouldering for more than 3 hours is always going to hurt?
 Andy Morley 12 Mar 2015

Ibuprofen.
 Cerris90 12 Mar 2015

Sounds like your experiencing the doms. Delayed onset muscle soreness.
Basically when you have increased your work routine. Either by upping the load/weight or time training your muscles are ripping. It usually lasts for 2-3 days after exercise or training. With the second day normally being the worst. Lots of protein An stretching. Hope this helps
 Jimbo C 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

I initially thought doms, but that is kind of normal with any intense exercise and I'm sure most people who have climbed are used to feeling doms.

The additional info that the onset is immediately after pulling hard suggests that the OP should get a professional opinion.
 Cerris90 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Fair enough iv just re-read it an saw the instant pain. Definatly shouldn't be experiencing instant pain. possibly rsi. I'd speak to your doctor bud
 Fishmate 12 Mar 2015

What do you consider to be warm up?
Simos 15 Mar 2015
Almost certainly tendonitis if you are feeling it while climbing. Try doing some antagonistic muscle training, pushups, dips etc help usually as well as some more specific exercises. Depends on exactly where you got it.

Also mine is worse after a break oddly so I don't stop completely anymore when when it's bad, I've learned to climb through it and manage it - usually gets better after a few sessions, as long as I climb carefully and do all the exercises and stretches.

Post edited at 23:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...