UKC

Beer and Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for some ideas form the hive mind, for obsure and daft reasons I am looking to climb/walk to a variety of hills, mountains and upland objects that have a beer named after them, and take said beer along. Hoping to develop a database that allows variety but is based in the North West, Yorkshire, North Wales area.

So far I have Hesket Newmarket, Buxton, Storm, Purple Moose, Great Orme and Rossendale amongst others.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Steven
Lusk 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Pendle Witches Brew!
Lusk 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Only other I can think of, not a mountain but in the spirit...

Millstone, True Grit
Moorside Mo 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Literally hundreds, but staying in the regions you mention and to start you off: Old Man - Coniston Brewing Company.
In reply to Lusk:

> Only other I can think of, not a mountain but in the spirit...

> Millstone, True Grit

Nice, it counts. Including Windgather by Storm and Millstone also do a Millstone Edge so that is on the list as well.

Ramblin dave 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Buxton have got half of the Peak District covered themselves - Axe Edge, Black Rocks, Kinder Downfall, High Tor, Jacob's Ladder. They've even got the impressively specific Far Skyline and Nth Cloud, and a collaboration with a brewery called Oedipus called Ring Your Mother. Although the last one would probably challenging to do with a beer in your hand...
 jalien 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Schiehallion by Harviestoun

http://harviestoun.com/our-beers/schiehallion
In reply to Pepper:

Tudor Brewery: Skirrid, Sugar Loaf, Blorenge
 Dave Garnett 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

There's Sierra Nevada for your holidays...
In reply to WyeValleyClimber:

Takes me back, used to live down there and even had a barrel of 1508 at my wedding. Nice to see they are still going strong, Brecon also have a large amount but not sure I will head that way this year.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Got a few from them, need to get to the brewery to see what is on offer as their site and third party ones differ on the range.

Howard Town in Glossop has as few but it what is available that is the problem with the small guys, hence building a large selection of ideas.
 Bob Aitken 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

A wee bit further North West: Blaven by Skye Brewery.
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Ben Nevis might be the furthest north we get this year, part of the same challenge as never been there (for shame), so seen Black Wolf have Nevis and Lomond beers.
 yorkshireman 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

> Looking for some ideas form the hive mind, for obsure and daft reasons I am looking to climb/walk to a variety of hills, mountains and upland objects that have a beer named after them, and take said beer along. Hoping to develop a database that allows variety but is based in the North West, Yorkshire, North Wales area.

Quite a bit further afield but I live in a small hamlet in the Alps, just below the source of the river Buëch - in our village a guy called David has opened a micro-brewery named after it called la Brasserie du Haut-Buëch, and he's developing a fantastic range of craft beers.

http://bhbbrasserieartisanale.blogspot.fr/p/les-bieres.html

So far my favourites are Tango, which is great on an evil winter evening with a raging snowstorm outside and a roaring fire inside. Now that spring is arriving I'm looking forward to sunny evenings on the terrace with the Agrumes of Love - quite citrus-y and refreshing.

I'm damn lucky to have it on my doorstep.

There's also Alp-hand range of beers, brewed in Briancon which I guess cover the whole range but I think that might be cheating a bit.
In reply to yorkshireman:

Been trying to pester the OH for a trip to the Alps but not sure this will be a winning argument unfortunately

Love the tasting notes on the website, best of luck to him trying that in rural France.
 yorkshireman 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

> Love the tasting notes on the website, best of luck to him trying that in rural France.

He's making quite a success of it but he's working pretty hard. He sells to the local shops and restaurants (we're quite a popular for French tourists especially in the summer) and travels out selling at festivals as well. If you are ever in the area, he speaks perfect English and is happy to give a tour of the brewery, explaining the whole process - fascinating stuff and puts my homebrew to shame
In reply to yorkshireman:

Sent his details on to my French proper beer drinking friends. Be fun to find out the French for le mash etc
 malky_c 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

An Teallach Ale is good, and brewed right underneath in Dundonnell
 Toccata 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Great Gable Brewing - Yewbarrow and Illgill
Isle of Skye - Cuillin Beast
Cairngorm Brewery - Cairngorm Gold
An Teallach Brewing - Beinn Dearg, An Teallach, Suilven
Plockton - Ciste Dubh
Hesket Newmarket - Entire range
Yorkshire Dales Brewing - Many of the range named after Dales hills
Three Peaks Brewery - Named after Yorkshire 3 peaks (funnily enough)

Must be loads more in Wales too.
 Guy Hurst 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Toccata:

The Hesket Newmarket Brewery does Blencathra, Skiddaw, Haystacks, Carrock, Helvellyn and Catbells beers that I've tried, and probably other ones named after mountains that I haven't. All good ales, and some excellent. The pub in Hesket stocks a lot of them, and is handily placed for relaxation after doing some of the tops.
In reply to Toccata:

Thanks for them, could do it on Hesket alone but trying to spread the fun!

Do you know anything about Three Peaks, no website up and very small by accounts. Not visiting South Wales this year but Brecon and Tudor have loads and appear to have increased since I lived that way.
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Planning a round in the Hesket area to walk Carrock and High Pike anyway so double win!
 nastyned 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

cumbrian Legendary Ales have a few: Grasmore and Melbreak off the top of my head.
Removed User 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

March Haigh from the RIverhead Brewery in Marsden.
 Toccata 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

> Do you know anything about Three Peaks, no website up and very small by accounts.

Only tasted their beers at a festival.

Lifted from Camra:

Three Peaks Brewery.
7 Craven Terrace
Settle
BD24 9DB
Telephone 01729 822939.

Beers: Pen-y-ghent bitter (3.8%); Ingleborough Gold (4%); Whernside Pale Ale (4.2%); Andrew‘s Smoked Beer (3.9%).

Founded in November 2006, the Three Peaks Brewery is run by husband and wife team Colin and Susan Ashwell. Due to expansion Andrew Murphy was appointed Assistant Brewer in early 2013. The brewery was initially located in the cellar of the Ashwell‘s home, and only a single beer, Pen-y-Ghent, was brewed on the 1¼ barrel plant. In June 2011 the second beer was launched, Ingleborough Gold, which uses a combination of First Gold, Brewers Gold and Golding hops. In 2012 the brewery moved to an industrial unit at the top of Buckhaw Brow on the old A65 and it now brews using a 5-barrel plant. In July 2013 Whernside Pale Ale appeared as the third beer - 4.2% ABV, it is brewed with New Zealand Jade hops. Later that year a seasonal beer, Andrew‘s Smoked Beer was introduced using materials from Bamburg in Germany. A further 10-barrel run of this took place in March 2014. The beer has been brewed in November 2014 and should be in pubs in the run-up to Christmas

Regular outlets for Three Peaks include the Helwith Bridge Inn in Ribblesdale, the Golden Lion in Horton, the Craven Arms in Giggleswick and the Talbot in Settle. The beers are also frequently available at the Red Lion (Earby), Bridge Bier Huis (Burnley) and the Fountain in Barnoldswick.
In reply to Toccata:

Thanks, I only found the small brew in cellar part, nice to see expansion so will look out for it next time we are up in the area.

This is why I put a shout out, you reach a point where the smaller local ones only sell to three/four pubs and don't use a national seller so if you have not seen them at a festival or on travels you can be stumped.
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks, had tried to look at their site yesterday but got broken links from Ossett. Nice place as well so trip planned, Black Moss as well.
In reply to nastyned:

Thought I had the lakes nailed on, thanks. Though on looking I seem to remember the American Invasion from a good night in the Middle Ruddings. So many beers, so little memory space stuff.
 Baron Weasel 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

If you drink at the Kirkstone Pass you can get a pint of Red Scree's, which I understand is a Tirrel brew re-badged.
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Cool, Red Scree's is on another list as well, have to get a take out!

Thanks
 Webster 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Skye brewery have several: Red culin and black culin plus the couple already mentioned.

There is the Ben Nevis IPA, Lomond gold (could be drank up ben lomond?) and Glencoe stout (could be drank up glencoe mountain resort?) all from the same brewery but not sure what its called

Ossian by the Inveralmond brewery, could be drank in Ossian's cave - glencoe, now there is a challange!

to be honest there are lots all over scotland, many have already been mentioned.

The Purple moose brewery have Snowdonia ale, and also Madogs ale which could be drank on the top of a route at tremadog? there is also a snowdon lager from great orm brewery and a 1085 snowdon lager from someone.

much further south there is the Ridgeway brewery with several self titled beers, and the cotswold brewery with severla self titled lagers and beers.

for an alps trip there is the Brasserie du mont blanc with at least 4 fancy beers
In reply to Webster:

> There is the Ben Nevis IPA, Lomond gold (could be drank up ben lomond?) and Glencoe stout (could be drank up glencoe mountain resort?) all from the same brewery but not sure what its called

Black wolf, hadn't seen the stout so that is worth a shout, more dark beer the better!

> Ossian by the Inveralmond brewery, could be drank in Ossian's cave - glencoe, now there is a challange!

Yeah, leave that one me thinks!

> The Purple moose brewery have Snowdonia ale, and also Madogs ale which could be drank on the top of a route at tremadog? there is also a snowdon lager from great orm brewery and a 1085 snowdon lager from someone.

Moose is on the list, like the twist on Madogs though, hadn't thought of that option. 1085 is from Great Orme but appears to have almost separate publicity machine!

Cant find anything else in North Wales though beside those two
 Webster 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

>> Cant find anything else in North Wales though beside those two

just seen Cwrw cader (Cader Ales) have a couple for Cader idris

kerny 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:
> Millstone, True Grit

I prefer the Tiger Rut myself.......anagram of True Grit. Cheers.
Post edited at 15:42
 Webster 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

There is a Preseli brewery in west wales (Preseli hills/Mynydd Preseli), but unfortunately no mountain related beer names
In reply to Webster:

Nice, thanks again. They are new to me, tried the usual suspects on the north coast.

Just found http://www.welshbeer.com/?page_id=8 based in Mold, beers named for Moel Famau and Moel Fenlli. Yes I have resorted to just typing in a mountain and 'beer' in google!
In reply to kerny:

Thanks for that, will add as an alternative.
 Flinticus 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

Couple of hills in Galloway: Cuil Hill, Criffel (has a hill race) and Knockendoch

By the Sulwath Brewery
Lusk 12 Mar 2015
In reply to kerny:

That's what I had the other day, couldn't remember the name.
Aye, it's a nice pint. Necked three in about 40 mins after my first 16 mile hike of the year.
kerny 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:

I will be on it tonight at the Railway in Greenfield, Saddleworth maybe more than 3 though lol
Lusk 12 Mar 2015
In reply to kerny:

You're not endearing yourself to me now!!!
 Ianto Bach 12 Mar 2015
In reply to WyeValleyClimber:

The Abergavenny Three Peaks never tasted so good!
 Bulls Crack 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

You could do a few Mild Severes?
kerny 13 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> You're not endearing yourself to me now!!!

Only if your'e getting them in dear..... p.s. how do you get smilies up on here ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...