UKC

TV Dongle for laptop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 13 Mar 2015
Hi, Ive seen cheap tv dongles for the laptop on ebay and was wondering if anyone had had any experience of them and how well they work? Obviously good signal plays a part but was wondering if they were worth it or a waste of time.
Thanks
Frank
 digby 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Depends. I use one in the campervan - an EyeTV dongle with a macbook. It works quite well but needs to be connected to a decent arial. It is freeview but won't receive HD, and neither will their newer products, which is stupid as more and more channels use HD. It is also very delicate in comparison to the arial lead and can get damaged through flexing, as can the laptop usb socket. It's best to tape it immovably to a splint of some sort and connect via a usb extension.
It's also easy to record programs.
 The Lemming 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

To get best results, you will have to connect the USB dongle to an actual TV Ariel such as those on rooftops. The teeny tiny ones will just give you lovely images of snow.

I've used both USB and internal cards for a computer and both work just as well, however the USB one eventually broke. Now I have a TV card with two receivers, so that I can record two things at the same time, in my computer.
OP Frankie boy 15 Mar 2015
Thanks,
The only real use it will get is when we're away in the middle of nowhere in the van and want to catch the F1 (or the ones the BBC still show). Presuming it will work on a netbook. Granted, I expected that a better aerial may help too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...