UKC

Endurance (forearm) training without access to a wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 14 Mar 2015
I'm heading to Kalymnos on the 10th April, three days after I get off ship. From now till then I have about four weeks in which to train forearm endurance and core, but no access to a wall.

What I do have is a crusher grip trainer, a powerball, a one-handed fingerboard thing and a lat pulldown machine to attach it to, a dumbbell and a bar bell. Also (in good weather) a pullup bar.

What will give me the best benefit? I'm currently cardio fit from a month of winter climbing and when out on grit the other day was moving relatively well. Looking to climb 7a this holiday.

R
 planetmarshall 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Got some heavy buckets? You could try a farmers walk.
 slab_happy 14 Mar 2015

What do you mean by a "one-handed fingerboard thing"? Something like the Crusher Orb or Metolius Rock Rings? http://crusherholds.co.uk/crusher-orb-fingerboard

Piece of broom handle, about 18" long. Drill a transverse hole through it, in the middle. Thread with some cord, with a metre-long tail. Attach the end to a weight. Hold it out in front of you, and wind the weight up, then slowly down.

Repeat with palms both supinated and pronated.

Old school, but very effective.
OP Roberttaylor 14 Mar 2015
In reply to slab_happy:

Crusher Orb

In reply to Martin not maise: Good call. I've done these before.
 JLS 14 Mar 2015

Hang off a table. Lie under a sturdy table, put your hands up on to the table edge, first joint on the table top, hang open handed style, your feet should be on the floor and your knees bent at 90 deg (or more open if you can manage) and pull yourself off the floor such that you are using your core to keep your thighs and torso pretty much horizontal. Now the training bit... Both hands on for 5sec, left hand off for 3sec, both hands on for 5sec, right hand off for 3sec (that's one rep) continue to repeat that sequence without rest for eight reps (that's one set). Do four sets with 7min rest between. You can play with your foot position vary the weight on your arms and decrease the rest from 7 to 5min if you are feeling hard core... Good luck.

3leggeddog 15 Mar 2015

Regular masturbation
 zebidee 15 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> Regular masturbation

Somebody had to say it didn't they. I was surprised it took this many replies before this.
 slab_happy 15 Mar 2015

With two Orbs (hung off the pull-up bar), you could do a pretty decent fingerboard workout -- one based on "repeaters"will be more oriented towards power-endurance rather than pure strength.

It is apparently possible to work aerobic endurance on a fingerboard, if you put your feet on a support or use a pulley or some other means to take weight off -- it's just much more boring than doing it on a wall. There's a discussion here:

http://rockprodigytraining.proboards.com/thread/275/endurance-training-on-h...

Also, I second Martin not maisie's recommendation of the wrist roller.
 Cake 15 Mar 2015
In reply to slab_happy:

I assume you mean anaerobic endurance. I do pyramid shaped repeaters with both hands on with my finger board. 4s, 6s, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4s with 5 sec in between. In fact, I often miss out the 10 second peak, but I get very pumped. Repeat 7 our more times with only 1 min rest. Eric Hörst I think.

I don't know if its the best, but I get pumped, which is the main point
 BoulderBus 15 Mar 2015

Have you got plenty of weight for the bar? You could try some heavy finger rolls...
 slab_happy 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Cake:

> I assume you mean anaerobic endurance.

Re: the repeaters, yes.

When I said aerobic endurance, I did mean aerobic endurance -- the low-intensity "aerobic restoration and capillarity" type stuff. Whence the boredom factor, if you're trying to pootle around at a low continuous intensity for 20 minutes or so on a fingerboard.
 Andy Cloquet 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

This exercise is brilliant.
 Roger Vickers 03 Apr 2015

What you need Buddy is the ' GRIP master ' heavy tension. Sorts the finger strength and the forearms at the same time . Costs about £12 for 1 or I suppose £24 for the pair. I only use one and change hands. 10 reps per hand till you can't do any more.
" No pain no gain " as Ron used to say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...