UKC

2 man tent for trekking and mountaineering - advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sj1295 14 Mar 2015
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a 2 person tent for some travelling and not too high end mountaineering. I would like it to be very waterproof and sturdy (think Scottish weather!!) and easy to put up alone, not too heavy. Has anyone got any recommendations?

thanks

Janna
Dorq 14 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

You don't say how much money you are prepared to part with.

I think a twin-poled, outer-pitch-first, tunnel, fits your purpose as stated. Prices range from Hilleberg to Vango and there are design differences, major and minor, that are worth considering --- in line with your budget of course. An example of the differences might include the flysheet fabric, which, depending on the price/quality, might range from silnylon that has 3 coats to silnylon/PU that has a single coat of each (but that doesn't need sealing after purchase, is weaker)...and so on and so forth.
needvert 14 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

Its not the perfect tent but I'm happy with my hilleberg Jannu.

1906johns 14 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:
If you don't mind being close happy to the person you share the tent with then I fully recommend the terra nova laser competition 2 - officially a 1 man but it fits 2...just...
It's a very lightweight tent ( <1kg) and you can put it up solo in less than 5 minutes

Alex
 Steve Perry 14 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

Terra Nova Voyager Superlite.
 Bluebird 15 Mar 2015
In reply to 1906johns:
Laser ultra weighs under 500g and is pretty tough. Cosy mind.
 jmerrick21 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

My superlight didn't stand up to English weather let alone Scottish
 Steve Perry 15 Mar 2015
In reply to jmerrick21:

Mine has been really good, I've used it on and off for around 8 yrs.
 Dave the Rave 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Dorq:
Terra nova solar 2
 1906johns 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

That's true but doubt it'd stand up to winter conditions.
I suppose a good mid ground (technically speaking) would be nordisk telemark, although it's a lot more expensive
 gazzagabb 15 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

Terra Nova Voyager- spacious for 1,but ok for two. Not cheap but it is a mountain tent and it will last.
 Trangia 15 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

TNF Westwind
 fellrunningjen 15 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

We have a laser large, its about 8 years old. 1.6kg, so heavy compared to racing tents but has ample space for two and kit. Enough head room. Can be pitched outer first, two pole tunnle tent so deals well with wind/rain and scottish conditions. Well used cycle touring, backpacking and mountain marathons, really good for two people. Our most used tent.
sj1295 22 Mar 2015
In reply to sj1295:

Hi guys,

thanks for all the great comments! In the end someone has offered me an MSR Hubba Hubba HP. It looks good and is in my budget, so let's see how it packs up in the weather! Excited to get out!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...