UKC

a question for Andy Kirkpatrick,Offset cams,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 22 Oct 2003

In a gear article you mentioned offset cams,and said they are usefull in the smaller sizes,how small do you mean by the smaller sizes,and are the larger ones not a lot of use.I guess they'll be some plaements somewhere for the larger sizes,but speaking generally,which sizes did you have in mind when you mentioned the smaller sizes,ie up to what size?

Cheers
Tim
Andy kirkpatrick 22 Oct 2003
In reply to Timmd:

Hi

The best offsets I've used are the Aliens offsets, although I think Wild Country are also going to bring out Zero offsets so they should be equally as good. The Aliens come in black/blue, blue/green, green/yellow, yellow/red - and every size is very useful, exspecaly when added to an exsisting rack in order to double it up, as the offset can often be used in a much broader size range in many placements (using it like a TCU, with only three cams in contact). I've mainly used them on big walls but I bet they would be fantastic for anyone wanting to add gear to their cam rack for longer modern pitches where a standered rack isn't anough. The best size is probably green/yellow and yellow/red as they are finger sized, with the blue sizes only good for aid/setting difficult head point anchors. I havn't used the WC offsets that much, but think the 2/2.5 is a great piece of kit (you always us up your s and 2.5 don't you), but the small sizes are pretty redundat (offset and standred) these days with the introduction of narrow more flexible cams like the Zero, Alien etc.

Hope that helps

Andy
OP Timmd 24 Oct 2003
In reply to Andy kirkpatrick:Thanks very much,it does help.

Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...