UKC

Lakes Challenge (extreme)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pommie574 14 Mar 2015
Anyone up for a challenge up in the lake district? Im thinking Lakes 3000 s,which is walking the 4 highest peaks up there. Itwill take 2 days and will involve a wild camp.
A high standard of fitness is needed, As well as your own kit.
Based around wakefield/Leeds and might be able to offer a lift.
Looking at midweek dates as well between 23 and 27 march or 30th march and 03 april.

Message me if anyone interested
 Dave the Rave 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:
Have a look at the Bob Graham round, then decide if you will have
A. Time to camp
B. Be fit enough to do it in 2 days with camping gear.
Good luck . God loves a trier
Pommie574 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Yes i have seen that. It does sound appealing but i am Not too keen on the running part!!! Just walking it will be enough for me.

And also, it will be light camping, more like a sleep in a bivvy and bag under a sheet, so wont be carrying too much. But that was why i emphasised the high level of fitness
Lusk 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:

Which hills are you calling as top 4?
 Mountain Llama 14 Mar 2015

U been on the old speckled hen again.....
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> U been on the old speckled hen again.....

Hobgoblin
In reply to Pommie574:
Are you planning a Bob graham wild camp route, or a point a to b over the 4 3000's?
Pommie574 14 Mar 2015

point a to b.

Starting in Keswick, up to Skiddaw and back, down to Helvelyn, then across to Scafell and Scafell pike.
Its around 43 miles
Lusk 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:

Scafells are one, you need to bag Great Gable for a true 4

I reckon you're 10 miles too long. Mid 30s I'd say
In reply to Pommie574:
Where would you cross and camp? Dunmail Raise? It's a long way that but doable if you're very fit and lightweight.
I remember being pretty fit and trying the Elterwater Horseshoe with a mate and a bivvy bag. I think Joss Naylor ran it in under six hours? We bivied below Pillar and were truly knackered.
Pommie574 15 Mar 2015

Yes crossing at Dunmail raise, but not sure about where to bivvy. I usually just get as far as i can and collapse in exhaustion in the first suitable spot!!
Fitness wont be an issue.
Pommie574 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Good to hear. Have you done it? I might take in Great Gable on the way back, dont want to cheat it!
 LakesWinter 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:

If you want the highest one not in the scafells or right next to helvellyn then you want Bowfell not gable. Unless you're going for some height separation rule between all the hills in which case you do want gable with skiddaw scafell and helvellyn.
In reply to LakesWinter:
For the lakes 3000 footers you need to do both scafell, and scafell pike, skiddaw and hellvelyan.
In reply to Pommie574:

The Old County Tops is a grand route
http://www.achille-ratti-climbing-club.co.uk/fellrunning/oldcountytops

.....bit of a different take on the challenge.

I've done the Bob Graham Round both within the 24 hours and again as a more leisurely mountain marathon style run/walk backpack over 2 1/2 days....... I know which is more fun!
 minstrel 15 Mar 2015

Do you mean Ennerdale horseshoe not Elterwater?
 Dave the Rave 15 Mar 2015
In reply to minstrel:

> Do you mean Ennerdale horseshoe not Elterwater?

Indeed I did
In reply to Pommie574:

This variation on the Lakeland 3000-ers (plus a few) should fill a couple of walking days nicely: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=483
 duchessofmalfi 16 Mar 2015

If you want a challenge sit in a bath of baked beans for a week.

The hills are tired of people doing "challenges"

summo 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:

skip the bivi, set off pre dawn. Don't cross at dunmail, but about 1 km down the road ( and 100m lower MASL) there is pub for an energy boost. It can't be much over 40-45km in total?

If you bivi/camp the challenge will be carrying the weight and choosing your book for the evening. If you push it in a day the challenge will be moving well on your feet and good route selection between Dunmail area and Esk Hause, trying to balance height loss, contouring, shortest route etc.
Pommie574 25 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:
I'm gonna go with your version and get it done in a day, especially after we get more day light this weekend. So il keep the book at home!
Removed User 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Pommie574:

Sounds like a grand outing. You might want to consider the route between Hellvelyn and the Scafells used by the Old County Tops fell race. Rather than go via Dunmail it drops down to Wythburn crosses the road and goes all the way up Wythburn to High Raise or High White Stones. These can be contoured. You can drop down to cross the top of Stake Pass and then take a direct line to Angle Tarn. Reckon that could save you a significant amount of of time.

Have a good one.
Removed User 25 Mar 2015
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Lakes tired agree, no more challenges, no more dog-walkers, litterers, mountain bikers, adventure-seekers. Leave only footprints.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...