UKC

lakes/recent activity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 15 Mar 2015
Anyone done any routes around helvelyn range yesterday.
 dan bulman 15 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:

was up gully2 on thurs. snow was perfect.
 sbc_10 15 Mar 2015
OP blackcat 15 Mar 2015
In reply to sbc_10: Thanks for info.

paulh.0776 15 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:
Nethermost Gully today, went across from Striding Edge to access the gully, its in great condition, a lovely solid head wall at the top with no cornice to worry about and just solid all the way. The summit plateau was very cold and cloudy so didn't hang around long..No1 and 2 gullies were also climbed in good condition, although the middle pitch of no.2 was reported as not at its best. The neve in the gullies will last so long as the temp doesn't get too high and it avoids any sun..fingers crossed X
Anyone been round Great End at all..??
Post edited at 17:07
 tjdodd 15 Mar 2015
In reply to paulh.0776:

Climbed number 2 gully yesterday. In great condition with really good neve. Went around to left hand gully on Brown Cove Crags and only climbable at the very top. Soft snow and bare rock for most of it.

On the way back got to top of Swirl Edge to be met by 6 people at the bottom of the exit ramp unable to get up it due to rock hard neve. Had to cut steps for them (really hard as I have never done it before) and then ferry them one at a time up the ramp. Not impressed.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Mar 2015
In reply to paulh.0776:

We did Nethermost Gully as well today, approached from below - I think we saw you disappear into the clag above us. Was surprised how much fresh powder there was sitting on top of the old snow near the bottom, but improved with height for an excellent finish.

We went to Great End yesterday. We got up Central Gully Right Branch, but it's not in condition - the snow sections are excellent hard neve, but the ice pitches don't exist. The crux pitch was quite exciting in these conditions
SE Gully had no snow visible from the bottom, there may be some higher up but not worth the risk given the conservation interest. Didn't go any further right, I'd guess that Custs is probably OK but Window is probably wet.
 paulh.0776 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks Simon, was thinking of going over to Great End on Thurs but think I'll give it a miss if there's no ice on the pitches. Doesn't look like there will be enough of a freeze over the next few days to improve things either.
 lummox 16 Mar 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Think we met your team of 3 (?) at the trig point before setting off home down Striding Edge. A good, fun day : )
 sbc_10 16 Mar 2015
In reply to lummox:

Yes indeed, 3 of us. Think we may have just caught the last of a complete Gully 1 for this year. Super little route.
Lots of teams enjoying the bomber neve around the face. Sounds like you had a fine day out as well.
Rgds.

Sean.
 Mr E 16 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:

i know it's 12 days old ... I've not watched the conditions much since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_imA00vmC4&index=1&list=PLDB1Wi2f9...

Feel free to subscribe
 Simon Caldwell 17 Mar 2015
 paulh.0776 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks Simon, maybe the pitches will form again this year .. ;-}

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...