UKC

Favourite quickdraw lengths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 15 Mar 2015
Why do they make 10cm quick draws when everyones favourite is an 18?
 Robert Durran 15 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:
> Why do they make 10cm quick draws when everyones favourite is an 18?

So that you don't fall as far.

Skyfall 16 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

> everyones favourite is an 18?

Is it?
 GridNorth 16 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Not necessarily. I use 10cms, quite thick and stiff, for sport and longer, far thinner and flexible ones for trad.
 jon 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

> So that you don't fall as far.

Exactly. Trouble is I get really scared even with short quickdraws so I just use a single krab to reduce the fall even more. Of course that means I get lots of rope drag so I solve that by only clipping every other bolt.
 Robert Durran 16 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:

> Exactly. Trouble is I get really scared even with short quickdraws so I just use a single krab to reduce the fall even more. Of course that means I get lots of rope drag so I solve that by only clipping every other bolt.

I prefer to solve it by getting strong enough to climb with loads of rope drag.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

> Why do they make 10cm quick draws when everyones favourite is an 18?

Everyone's?? 10cm is normally perfect - if not, then use two!

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Everyone's?? 10cm is normally perfect - if not, then use two!

Or just carry a couple of long dangly ones for when they are really needed.
 jon 16 Mar 2015

> I prefer to solve it by getting strong enough to climb with loads of rope drag.

Did you get strong enough over Christmas in Spain?
 ianstevens 16 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Because 18 is the most pointless size ever.

I have some 10cm ones for sport, which they excel at. Then I have slingdraws, which are generally 20 or 60cm, can be 30 if required. About 40000 times better than what are essentially lengthend sport draws.
In reply to jon:

> Did you get strong enough over Christmas in Spain?

No! Spent two days on it, accepted I wasn't yet strong enough and that I didn't really like the route enough, the holds were too painful for the sort of siege required, and that it probably didn't suit me anyway. Shall think again, get stronger, hopefully remain uninjured and try again in October if possible..........

Andy Gamisou 16 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:

> Exactly. Trouble is I get really scared even with short quickdraws so I just use a single krab to reduce the fall even more. Of course that means I get lots of rope drag so I solve that by only clipping every other bolt.

I get even more scared so at every bolt I stop, use a sling to attach myself to the bolt, then untie the rope and rethread it through the bolt, re-tie, detach the sling, then I'm off again. It does mean each route takes a wee while to climb, and ropes get trashed quite quickly. So I try to use my climbing partner's rope. That's when I can find a partner. Which is not often.
 ericinbristol 16 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:

> Exactly. Trouble is I get really scared even with short quickdraws so I just use a single krab to reduce the fall even more.

Too risky for me. I don't like falling that far so I thread the bolts as I go.

In reply to ericinbristol:

> Too risky for me.

Even with those big steel screwgates which weigh half a ton each?
 ericinbristol 16 Mar 2015

Yeah - threaded bolt compared to a single krab stops you falling about another 9 cm, maybe 12 cm with rope stretch
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:
> I get even more scared so at every bolt I stop, use a sling to attach myself to the bolt, then untie the rope and rethread it through the bolt, re-tie, detach the sling, then I'm off again.

How do you get to thread the rope through the bolt eye when you already have a krab in it?

Chris
Post edited at 11:50
 jon 16 Mar 2015

> How do you get to thread the rope through the bolt eye when you already have a krab in it?

... especially with that big thick 11mm rope?
In reply to jon:

> ... especially with that big thick 11mm rope?

Just climb on 3mm cord then.
 kipper12 16 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

I tend to use a mix, gives ma options
Andy Gamisou 16 Mar 2015

> How do you get to thread the rope through the bolt eye when you already have a krab in it?

> Chris

I don't use a krab on the bolt, I larks foot a dyneema sling onto the bolt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...