UKC

How much difference does 5cm make?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 16 Mar 2015
I'm looking at getting a new road bike and have measured myself to fit a 58cm standard frame. Unfortunately I can't quite remember the frame size of my last bike but remember having the seat quite high and wanted to avoid that this time.

There's a cracking deal on a 53cm frame bike that I'd quite like to get but obviously it's quite a bit smaller. I just wondered how much of an issue that would be, I'm 5'10 with an 85cm inseam. I'm erring on the side of ignoring the offer and getting a bigger bike that fits but would be interested to hear anyones opinions on how much you can vary away from your size as to an amateur like me a couple of cm difference either way doesn't sound like it would make much difference (although perhaps 5cm would)
 zimpara 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

People who dont know anything about riding are always riding bikes way too big for them these days.

I'm 5ft 8 and ride a 51cm.
Get it
 LastBoyScout 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> I'm looking at getting a new road bike and have measured myself to fit a 58cm standard frame. Unfortunately I can't quite remember the frame size of my last bike but remember having the seat quite high and wanted to avoid that this time.

A compact frame geometry, which results in a lighter, stiffer frame, generally means you'll have a long seatpost. You would be far better off getting properly measured at a competent bike shop for the right frame size and geometry for your body shape and what you want to do with the bike - about £100. Most places will knock the cost of that off the cost of the bike if you then buy from them. Saddle height is secondary to effective top tube length. If in doubt, go smaller, as you have more options.

> There's a cracking deal on a 53cm frame bike that I'd quite like to get but obviously it's quite a bit smaller. I just wondered how much of an issue that would be, I'm 5'10 with an 85cm inseam. I'm erring on the side of ignoring the offer and getting a bigger bike that fits but would be interested to hear anyones opinions on how much you can vary away from your size as to an amateur like me a couple of cm difference either way doesn't sound like it would make much difference (although perhaps 5cm would)

I'm 5'9". One of my bikes is a 54cm frame and is too long for me - I have the saddle quite forward and a short stem. My other bike is a 50cm frame and fits me perfectly with the saddle in the right place and a proper length stem.

On that basis, the 53cm frame could well be the one for you, so go and try it out - you'll just have to learn to live with the seatpost
 wbo 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp: Hmm I'm drifting towards a larger frame size than I've ridden previously as I'm preferring a little bit more stretch. As said top tube lengh is more important. Having said that 58 does sound terribly large. I'm 5'7" and ride a 53

Chris the Tall 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

My feeling is 5cm makes quite a big difference - it's two sizes. I tend to ignore the actual dimensions and just view them as XS, S, M, L, XL and you seem to looking at buying an S instead of an L.

Years back I was told you should get the smallest bike you could get away with. So despite being 6'4 I didn't get the largest size available. About 7 years ago I went to an MTB demo day, tried the XL sized bikes and realised that it really did make a difference - much more comfortable, could ride for a lot longer, far more enjoyable.

Last year when buying a road bike I decided to demo as much as I could - however none of the shops had any XL bikes in stock. So I tried various large ones and always felt a bit bunched up, but wasn't sure if this was just because I was used to MTBs. So went to a small shop who measured me up using an adjustable frame and sure enough I needed the XL. Meant I had to order it without a demo first, but I've no doubt it was the right bike for me.

IMA 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

5cm is a fair size difference.

but at 5.10 fitting a 58 frame sounds mad. I'd say a 56 would be too big for you but at least you could make it fit.

Why do you not want a lot of seat post? (curiosity rather than a care)

I'm 5.10 and ride a Specialized 52, that is aggressive position I'll admit but it fits my other bikes have been Giants and a Willier, all of them on the 54 ish mark but often shorter given the top tube lengths.

Best thing is go and sit on it
 Bob 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

I'm 5'11" and have a 56cm frame, not a huge amount of seat post on display.
 steveriley 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

You need to at least sit on some options. A cracking bargain is rubbish if it doesn't fit - I know, I rode the wrong size for years. It's more about length than height, which is kinda funny as bikes are always sized by height. 53cm sound like it might be small for you and 58cm big. But you can't tell from behind a keyboard
 andy 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Bob:
I'm the same height as Bob and have ridden 54s, 56s and L frames and all were "right" - but a 58 would be way too big for me (top tube length). The 53 might well be ok, but I'd at least have a ride on one - you can do a bit of adjustment with stem length, of course, but not 5cm's worth.
 Toby_W 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

I'm 6'3 with an 89 inseam and ride a 58, the other thing you need to consider is the top tube length. A 58 with a 11-12cm stem is about right for me (~ 57-58cm top tube). If the frame is too long this will have a massive effect on comfort and handling. There are some basic free bike fit programmes that will give you a ball park figure so worth a check before you buy.

(I reckon a 58 would be too big especially when you think some of the pros my size ride 56 (even 54) with a long stem so they can get the drop on the bars)

Good luck

Toby
 The Potato 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

personally id go for a bigger one.
(i dont want to brag but) mines 56cm and im 5'10, and I find that a little small
KevinD 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

It can make a large difference. However considering how much bikes vary by manufacturer frame size alone isnt that useful.
Best thing is to try it and see.
 krikoman 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> How much difference does 5cm make?

Ask your missus, she'll tell you.
OP Sharp 16 Mar 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks so much for everyones comments. I can't remember the frame size of my last bike but it was a compact. I measured myself and a few of these online size calculators all came out at 58cm but it seems from what you've all said that I'd have been getting a bike too big for me. It's just a cheapie bike I'm after, the last bike I had was a bit small and I'd got that from a shop new specifically so that I could get properly sized up. I think from my past experience and the comments on here that a 56 or maybe even a 54 would do. Unfortunately there's not many for sale locally so the options for trying it out for size first are limited but I'll just be leasure riding and the odd comute into work so if I find it's too small after a year I'll just change it.

Thanks again for everyones comments, very helpful
 JamButty 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

I'm 5'10 and have two 56" bikes one Spec one Felt, and with the different frame geometries the difference is pretty noticeable.
I'd try a few for fit rather than just buying.
 Kimono 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

im 5'11 and both my bikes are a happy 54cm
 Tom the tall 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:
Comparing between brands is also pretty meaningless. I've got a 62 cm cube road bike and a 58 cm cannondale cx bike, which both fit me (at 6'4"), and the cannondale is more stretched out. You need to try them, or at least have easy and free returns.
Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...