UKC

Sport climbing destinations Aug 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gemma_Penny 16 Mar 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good sport climbing destination for August time... where by Spain, Greece, Croatia etc will all be too hot I think... but ideally id still like some sun /sea and if the bolting can be somewhat as delightful as Kalymnos that would be great!

Can any one recommend anywhere that's not too long a flight - so America, Japan, china , Oz will all be a little too far for 7 days... grades 5-7a

I realise i've just eliminated a lot of places with the above....
thanks

The Pylon King 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Dorset.
 seankenny 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

> Dorset.

Can get a bit hot in August...
Removed User 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Rodellar perhaps? You should be able to find enough easy routes to keep you busy for a week. It's not anywhere near the sea, though.

Another option is Slovenia. Plenty of crags to choose from and it shouldn't take you more than two hours to get to the sea from any of them. If you need more info about climbing in Slovenia, just let me know
 tjekel 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

Omis has some routes in the shade and is at sea level. Baska on Krk island should be sufficient for a week - if incredibly touristy in august. Paklenica has some shade as well.

Many of the slovenian crags are southfacing and hot in summer.
 Man city 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:
Where are you based, assume the UK, if so I Can't believe you are considering venues as far afield as Japan, when some of the best sport crags ii the world are only a short flight/drive/train ride away, such as Cuese, gorge du tarn etc.

Loads to go at in your grade range , so I would strongly recommend venues in France are given due consideration

Hope you pick somewhere worthy and enjoy your trip
 John Cuthbert 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

I rather fancy you've set yourself an impossible task..but my recommendation would be the South of France. Le Sud is, of course, BIG, so a bit of foreknowledge wodul help you out.

the most obvious place on the coast is Les Calanques near Marseiles, but the Gorge de Blavet (near St Rapahel) offers north facing routes, and I really like the gorge du Loup and St Jeannet a bit further inland near Nice.

There's much more to go out, but I mention these since they are all featured in Rockfax's guide: 'France: Cote d'Azur'.

Stil, there's no escaping the act that heat/humidity will be a huge issue. In general, people like me, who spend a ot of time in France, tend to stick to the higher mountain crags in August, largely safe from the ravages of tourism and le soleil.

hope this helps.

John C

John C
 jimtitt 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Sweden
 madam 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Hi Gemma,

in case you would allow to replace a sea by a lake then you would definitely enlarge your options
In this case I would recommend eg. Salzkammergut area in Austria. Plenty of crags and plenty of refreshing water in several lakes.

adam
Removed User 19 Mar 2015
In reply to tjekel:

Well, it's going to be 30+ (Celsius) in both Omis and Baska in August. If she's ok with that, then yes, those are probably the best options. I wouldn't go to Paklenica if I wanted to climb single-pitch routes only

Kotecnik, on the other hand, has 200 routes up to 6c+ and most of them are in the shade. No spectacular views, but it's possible to climb all day.
 Gael Force 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Bourgogne, just been for a week with my GF , climb similar grades to u..cheap and not busy, 5 hours from the channel
 TobyA 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:
Sweden, Norway, or even Finland? Plenty of the cliffs are by the sea or lakes.
Post edited at 19:28
 tjekel 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:
Yes, but there's shade and usually a breeze at both venues. This is why i suggested them over, say, istrian venues that are generally south facing. You're true, she won't feel cold.
 kevin stephens 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Frankenjura
 Dandan 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

As above, I went to the Frankenjura in August a couple of years ago, it was fantastic. A lot of the crags are in woodland and so shaded all day long and there is so much choice within a short drive that you will alsways find a crag to suit the conditions.
Fair enough there are no beaches nearby, but the climbing makes up for it.
 John Cuthbert 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

made any decisions? I think I'll be around the south of france, so stay in touch.

John C
 muppetfilter 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

How about the Italian Lake District around Arco?
 najki_2000 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:
If lakeside location is ok I'd recommend Interlaken. Spent two weeks there in August. The crags are within walking distance of a campsite and you can even climb in the rain as the crags are in the forest so also shaded if the suns out. Loads to do on rest day. Bolting VERY friendly, but grades may feel a bit hard. There's also one crag that looked like bolted gritstone!
 stp 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gemma_Penny:

Briancon area in France is supposedly excellent with varied sport climbing and bouldering and high so cool enough for Summer climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...