UKC

Creating Hyperlapse videos in windows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 17 Mar 2015
I am trying to create a high speed fly through of a building and wanted to use a Hyperlapse type effect to smooth it out, I could do this easily on my phone but the sites security policy means I need to do it with their camera and laptop.

I have tried and failed to find a way to do this in windows despite the techniques being developed by Microsoft. Is there some moderately idiot proof software available to do this?
 rallymania 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

am i underestimating this... is it not just any video editing software that can "blend" frames?

there's also addins like twixtor that are used to ultra slow motion that "guess" the missing frames for you to smooth the video out or de:flicker which apparently reduces the kind of flicker you get in time lapses

(twixtor / de:flicker aren't exactly cheap though)

planetmarshall 17 Mar 2015

> I am trying to create a high speed fly through of a building and wanted to use a Hyperlapse type effect to smooth it out, I could do this easily on my phone but the sites security policy means I need to do it with their camera and laptop.

You'll be limited if you use a camera because some algorithms ( notably Instagram's and Adobe's ) use gyroscopic information from the phone's sensors to stabilize the video.

Microsoft's algorithm is purely image analysis, but I am not aware that they have made it into a product as yet, though the research is publicly available if you have the necessary expertise to implement it yourself.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapse/
OP Reach>Talent 17 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Cheers, I had just found that out. Looks like I will be handing out sick bags as the "Unsteadycam" footage of me ascending a few dozen flights of stairs is all over the shop!
 d_b 17 Mar 2015
In reply to rallymania:

You are underestimating it. They do all sorts of clever things like approximating the location of objects in 3D and generating/warping impostors etc. A simple blend would just give a blurred and ugly timelapse.

The Lemming 17 Mar 2015

> Looks like I will be handing out sick bags as the "Unsteadycam" footage of me ascending a few dozen flights of stairs is all over the shop!

I may be confused here, but are you trying to create a video that you can speed up to look like superman on acid flying through a house?

If money is not an issue on this project, could you get a hand-held gimbal for your phone or camera to eliminate any wobble?

You could then use some software to speed the video up.

Or am I completely wrong?

If so, sorry

coolhand 17 Mar 2015
Adobe Premier will do it with the Warp Stabilizer function. Also not cheap.
OP Reach>Talent 17 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Pretty much, I have a virtual tour which takes 20+ minutes and I want to get it down to more like 5-6. A stabilised camera would be the intelligent choice but I have a budget of not a lot and even less time. Also the very steep staircases mean a dumb gimbal would be a lot of footage of the ceiling as I descended, so I would need some degree of control Currently the test footage is a bit like dingy sailing in a gale!
 The Lemming 17 Mar 2015
Depending on your budget you have two options for a gimbal, simple or electronic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-key...

Or you could go all lo-tech and make one?

http://accessinertia.com/how-to-make-an-impromptu-camera-stabilizer/

youtube.com/watch?v=SCFx5Blj19o&

I'm going to treat myself to a fancy electronic on at the end of the month from China.
Post edited at 21:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...