UKC

4 Season Tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HGTS 17 Mar 2015
Looking to buy a new four season, one or two man tent for use in the UK in winter aswell as the Alps and various Scandanavian countries. At the moment I am considering the Hilleberg Soulo or one of the Terra Nova Quasars, does anyone have any other suitable suggestions or know how the two tents above compare and which would be considered more soild in four season conditions.
 Pritchard 17 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS:

I would ask are you carrying it yourself or splitting it between 2. The Quasar is not a tent I would like to carry alone!

If your thinking 1 tent for both solo and 2 person use, I would go lighter, like a Terra Nova Voyager or Hilleberg Nallo or Jannu. A heavy duty 2 person tent will suck some of the enjoyment out of your day carrying alone.

If you have deep pockets, I would get two, one for Solo use and a 2 man.

The Hilleberg Tarra and Staika are bomber two mans I would look at.

The Hilleberg Akto has seen a lot of Arctic and winter use, even though it wasn't designed for that (you can double pole it etc). The Soulo being the bomber single man choice.

Personally I have gone Akto for solo, Nallo 3 GT for 2 person (I doubt I'll alpine it) and a cheaper Vango Tempest for camp sites. I did seriously consider the Jannu but decided I needed the porch space more than the alpine ability.

If your after cheaper options the Vango Spirit is a bomber tent.

Happy researching and shopping!

Craig.

L.A. 17 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS: Macpac Minaret - You dont need a mortgage to own one unlike a Hilleberg, fits 1in comfort 2 is more of a squeeze. Bombproof, easy to pitch(inner and outer go up as one), with a 'proper' groundsheet that doesnt require an extra footprint to keep the floor dry like many tents, and yet its not too heavy for solo backpacking at 2.3 kg
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping-Equipment/Tents/Mountain-Tent...

HGTS 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Pritchard:

Thanks for the quick reply, if I were to buy a two man tent I would be using it solo. I will definitely look into the Jannu and the voyager. Sadly I don't think I have the money to buy both a one man and two man tent again thanks for the advice.
HGTS 17 Mar 2015
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks for the reply, I haven't looked into Macpac tents and will definitely have a browse on their website.
In reply to HGTS:

Not sure about the state of their stock, but the Alpkit Kangri isn't too far away from the Quasar in spec, but is/was around half the price. Mine's been abused by various UK conditions and hasn't ever let me down. Basic review here:

https://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/gear-review-alpkit-kangri/
cb294 17 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS:

I have a Hilleberg Tarra, about as bomber as they come but rather heavy.

The Jannu is a much lighter but still robust construction, but you pay for this through its single, shallow angle front porch when entering/leaving the tent in the rain.

Despite its stupid name the Vaude Power Odyssee I bought for my daughter is probably the best light, two man tent I have recently seen, at least when price, weight, and robustness are all taken into account.

CB
dunirie 17 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS:

have a wee look at tarptent, the scarp 2 might be suitable,

wish i had knew about them before!

In reply to L.A.:

> Macpac Minaret - You dont need a mortgage to own one unlike a Hilleberg, fits 1in comfort 2 is more of a squeeze. Bombproof, easy to pitch(inner and outer go up as one), with a 'proper' groundsheet that doesnt require an extra footprint to keep the floor dry like many tents, and yet its not too heavy for solo backpacking at 2.3 kg

> http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping-Equipment/Tents/Mountain-Tents/Minaret-MAC-MINARET

+1... I've had an Olympus for ten years and it is still going strong.
 CurlyStevo 18 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS:

The tapeing on the quasars made in the last 10 years is far from bomber. I treated my Ultra Quasar very very well yet it still came untaped in about 5 years of average use . Many other users on here have found the same. Also it's pretty hard to pitch it relieably to stop the outer touching the inner which can lead to condensation issues from time to time, not a good mix with down sleeping bags.

Also the poles are pretty fragile, mine have survived but around when I bought mine a lot of other users had snapped poles.

Another point is the fly looked pretty trashed from UV at 5 years old too.

I wouldn't buy a quasar again, quite nice tents with some design and manufacturing issues, also they are very expensive for what they are (and not that light in the main).

alasdair19 18 Mar 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

tents can get destroyed by one summers UV so five years is not unreasonable.

major decision is do you want a tent that that stands up in its own? or a tunnel type? I prefer stand alone ones eg quasar type.

Avoid North American tents in general.
ignore tarp tents. you need a double skin tent.
terra nova didnt manage their transfer to far east manufacturing that well. personally mine has been good..also look at the mountain hard wear 4 season range. I was impressed in Nepal. macpac are also good.

buy a hanging stove so you can cook inside. Alternatively stay in huts...
 HeMa 18 Mar 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> Avoid North American tents in general.

>... also look at the mountain hard wear 4 season range

You're contradicting yerself here. Mhw is US stuff.

In reply to HGTS: Hilleberg Hilleberg Hilleberg.

DaveHK 18 Mar 2015
In reply to L.A.:
> Macpac Minaret -

Nice tents but in my experience too small for 2 for extended use especially in poor weather. Might not be an issue for you.
Post edited at 22:24
 Solaris 18 Mar 2015
In reply to alasdair19 and the OP:
> tents can get destroyed by one summers UV so five years is not unreasonable.
Yes, this is why I gave up on Terra Nova and bought Macpac: better UV proofing when I bought mine, but worth checking current fabric spec.

> macpac are also good.
Agreed. Having used for extened periods both a Minaret and an Olympus, I'd vote for an Olympus: stronger and more roomy.
Post edited at 22:57
 L.A. 18 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
But as the OP says ' if I were to buy a two man tent I would be using it solo.'
Im 6' and love using my Minaret as a roomy one person tent but wouldnt want to share it unless Penelope Cruz was asking. I personally think that most 2 person tents are not suitable for two for any extended period.
Post edited at 23:00
 alasdair19 19 Mar 2015
In reply to L.A.:

I've used a quasar in a 3 on a glacier would happily do it again if weight mattered
 Trangia 19 Mar 2015
In reply to alasdair19:
>
> Avoid North American tents in general.

Don't agree so far as TNF Westwind is concerned. Light enough for one to backpack, very robust and surprisingly roomy for two, luxury for one. The only cons I've found after 30 years of using one are that you have seal the seams yourself when you get it (they provide sealant), and to cook in the storm entrance area it's best to pull back the ground sheet to the inner slightly which takes two seconds and gives you more height.

Mine has stood up to anything nature throws at you from blizzards in the Himalaya, rain filled gales in N Wales, to tropical sun in the Nanibian desert.
Post edited at 08:27
 Solaris 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:
> Mine has stood up to anything nature throws at you from blizzards in the Himalaya, rain filled gales in N Wales, to tropical sun in the Nanibian desert.

The key thing though is what damage the sun may have done to the fabric. Because that's hard to tell, and because of bad experiences with other well-known manufacturers' tents fabrics not lasting much more than one trip to Jordan and one season in the alps, I put UV resistance high on my list of buying criteria.

I don't know, but it sounds like TNF were very good in this respect in the past. Whether they are now may be a different question!
Post edited at 12:44
 iksander 19 Mar 2015
In reply to HGTS:

I like Force 10 Nitro Lite 2+, porch is a big plus
 CurlyStevo 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Solaris:
My tent was used nearly exclusively in Scotland camping in the Glens! I think the seams coming unstuck was not acceptable. The uv damage was less of a problem as the fabric was still waterproof - however I still think it was degrading too quickly!

Then you also have the issue of weak poles and the outer touching the inner.....
Post edited at 00:45
needvert 13 Apr 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> (...) you need a double skin tent.

Why?

I sold my Soulo, very nice tent, but quite heavy and not long enough for my liking. Wish I'd gone with the Unna. Soulo is probably the most solid tent I've been in.

Jannu is plenty of space for 1, though once again quite heavy. I doubt I'll sell my Jannu any time soon.

It's probably worth mentioning the packed sizes of Hilleberg tents are pretty big, which then leads to perhaps sizing up to a bigger pack...Which is even more weight.

I just got a silnylon mid I'm going to try out for snow use. The weight vs space is awesome, will see how I go this winter.

Solaris 13 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yes, I also had problems with the seam tape coming unstuck. A pity because I like to support British firms.
 Timmd 13 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I understand a dodgy batch of poles was an issue, according to an ex-employee, and they changed their flysheet fabric a few years ago.
 ben b 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I agree, the old Westwind (the grey/gold one) was fantastic - but they haven't made it in a form you'd recognise for many years, AFAIK.

The Macpac Olympus is probably the closest in nature. The Minaret is smaller and lighter, and plenty of room for one.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...