UKC

Email weirdness - tech/detective help required

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Recently, emails to a friend started bouncing back with the message "The email address you are trying to reach does not exist". As she's had the address for years this seemed odd, and I'd had no message saying that she was changing address.

On someone's recommendation I tried to register on gmail with the exact username she had and it told me that someone already has that address.

I have no real clue about technology, but the two responses seem mutually exclusive to me. Others have emailed her with the same response, so it's not just me! There is no working mobile number for her and she has never been on FarceBook.

Any ideas what might be going on here, or what next steps to take?

In reply to Frank the Husky:

> On someone's recommendation I tried to register on gmail with the exact username she had and it told me that someone already has that address.

> I have no real clue about technology, but the two responses seem mutually exclusive to me.

If her email account has been cancelled it won't free up her original email address to be registered by a new user.

skog 18 Mar 2015

She probably hasn't logged in for a long time, and it has expired.

Expired addresses are probably not made available to others, at least for some time.
Removed User 18 Mar 2015
Can't you just give her a ring or drop her a telegram?
Post edited at 10:02
In reply to skog: Good thought, but she emailed me just before I went to Sudan on the 30th Jan, and by the 16th Feb it was bouncing back, so not that.

In reply to Removed User: I would do if I could do. No phone number and no recent address to hand. Oh well, the mystery deepens.

skog 18 Mar 2015

Hmm. It's also possible she could have switched her Google account to use a non-Gmail address.

That doesn't help you, though!
 climbwhenready 18 Mar 2015

I guess one possibility is she's fowarding email from gmail to somewhere else, and the somewhere else no longer exists? Then you'd get a bounce from that address. Maybe.
Removed User 18 Mar 2015

What's the entire error message? Can you put it on pastebin then link to here?
In reply to Removed User: PM'd the error message to you, boss.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...