UKC

Fontainebleau with train/bus April 4-9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dsharaf 19 Mar 2015
Hi- any advice on how feasible it would be to try to climb for a few days at Fontainebleau without access to a car? I am especially wondering whether I could stay in Paris rather than near the forest, and take the train out there in the mornings. I would be flying in to Paris from NYC, so no bouldering pad.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
 RobertHepburn 19 Mar 2015
In reply to dsharaf:

I think that it is possible to get off at Bois-Le-Roi station and walk to Rocher Canon in half an hour or less?
Would definitely get the "top 25" map for Fontainebleau, as it is easy to get properly lost in the forest.
Take all the water and food you will need, and there are no toilets either!
Personally I would take a pad, but there are shorter problems with flat/sandy landings depending on how confident you are (old school?!). You may be able to hire one but without a car it could be tricky?

Have fun, Font is the best!
Removed User 19 Mar 2015
In reply to dsharaf:

Certainly Rocher Canon, as described is the easiest option.
You could also get the train to Fontainebleau/Avon & walk to Mont Ussy or Rocher D'avon in about the same time although these are smaller areas than Canon.

Slightly further is train to Nemours then walk to Petit Bois.

dsharaf 20 Mar 2015
In reply to dsharaf:

Thanks, both of these tips were very helpful.
 barrington1978 31 Mar 2015
In reply to dsharaf:

Hi. I bouldered at both of these sites earlier on this month from the aforementioned train stations. I can confirm that the walk ins are 20-30 mins East to West along GR marked red and white footpaths. Mont Ussy is about 5 mins West of the enormous Hercules boulder.
There are some free topos on the web of these sites too,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...