UKC

Ben Lawers conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomasmcalonan 19 Mar 2015
Hello.

Any idea what height the snow line is at around Ben Lawers? Taking a couple of relatively inexperienced friends out this weekend and don't want to scare them too much. Have crampons etc for the group so no massive concerns with weather forecast.

Regards

T
 baileyswalk 20 Mar 2015
In reply to thomasmcalonan:

I'd also be interested in knowing where the snow line is - but I'm trying to get up into the snow not avoid it!
 Mark Bull 20 Mar 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

Haven't been on Lawers recently but generally there isn't a well defined snow level just now. North and East facing aspects have good cover down to around 600m but south and west aspects and ridge crests are very patchy or bare.
 baileyswalk 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:
That's what I was thinking, might try fro some north facing aspects.

The webcam of Ben More shows very little snow even on what I'm assuming is a northern aspect.
Post edited at 12:02
 JohnnyW 20 Mar 2015

I am taking groups out on Saturday and Sunday up there, and my sources say similar to Mark above.

Initially I was expecting some bomber neve, which would have made for a cracking traverse on all but the An Stuc descent of the E flank, when it would have made it interesting to say the least. Now, with the higher temp forecasted, it may be slightly easier, allowing more positive foot placements. Gotta be circumspect with that bit though if your pals are unsure on their crampons....
 yodadave 20 Mar 2015

looks to be melting quite quick I'm afraid with a HUGE cornice facing East
just drove by an hour ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...